Alyson has a passion for children’s literature. With a background as a teacher librarian she now works with graduate-entry trainee teachers at the University of Sydney as a Professor in English literacy education.
In all areas of her teaching, Alyson links educational theory with practice. She has developed partnerships with schools to examine the connection between English, language development and the authentic use of information and communication technology in the classroom.
Alyson's classroom-based research employs discourse analysis to investigate the issues involved in the nature and development of language, critical literacy, working with children’s literature in online environments, and pedagogic change.
Learning sciences; psychology of education
- Learning technologies and new media
Research on teaching and learning
- Teacher education and professional learning
- English and literacy
Keywords: children's literature, elearning, visual literacy, blended learning, discourse analysis, pedagogy
- TARDIS: Teaching about Reading Dialogic Interactions. This international comparative project examining the role of children's literature in pre-service teacher education is being run in four countries, the UK, US, Canada and Australia. Commenced in 2012 data collection involving survey, interview, digital story and document analysis will run till the end of 2014.
- Reading by Design - an International Study on 21st Century Reading Processes. This study is a collaboration with Canada, US and Australia funded by the SSHRC. The project examines the reading practices exhibited when students work with digital technology. It will run from 2012 to 2013.
Advance HE Senior Fellowship 2019
OLT Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning 2015:
For passionate commitment to dialogic pedagogy that inspires students as literacy educators learning to teach critically and creatively with children's literature
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2011
Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award 2005
(Beijing Normal University) PI on a collaborative research project investigating Teachers' Work
|Project title||Research student|
|Picturing Identity: An Investigation into Culturally Inclusive Literacy Practice with Secondary EAL/D Students Using Multimodal Texts||Sussan ALLAOU|
|Meaning construction with persuasive multimodal texts.||Jennifer ASHA|
|Examining Approaches to the Kindergarten Literacy Block||Corrina GODDARD|
|Virtual Reality and English Literature: Towards an Immersive Experience||Constantinos/costas SARRIS|
- Understanding and facilitating learning in emerging knowledge co-creation spaces, Markauskaite L, Reimann P, Goodyear P, Pardo A, Kay J, Shaw T, Poronnik P, Bobis J, Way J, Simpson A, Sutherland L, Curwood J, Jacobson M, Bartimote-Aufflick K, Yacef K, Koprinska I, Calvo R, DVC Research/Sydney Research Excellence Initiative 2020 (SREI)
- AITSL - TPA Grant - University of Melbourne Consortium - Assessment for Graduate Teaching, Mayer D, Tognolini J, Simpson A, Cotton W, Talbot D, Bobis J, Brownlee P, Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL)/Teaching Performance Assessment Grant Program
- Spread the data! Learning new forms of interactive data communication (Open Learning Environment - HDR), Reimann P, Simpson A, Wilson R, Markauskaite L, DVC Education/Large Educational Innovation Grant
- Reading by design: An international study on 21st century reading processes, Rowsell J, Walsh M, Gallagher T, McQuirter Scott R, Fisher D, Lapp D, Simpson A, National Research Council Canada/Research Support
- Integrating literacy and science/technology through the dynamic use of ICT to enliven student engagement, Simpson A, University of Sydney/TIES Small Grant Scheme
- AGQTP Project with Belmore South Primary School, Simpson A, Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST)/Australian Government Quality Teacher Program (AGQTP)
- AGQTP Project with West Pymble Pubic School, Simpson A, Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST)/Australian Government Quality Teacher Program (AGQTP)
- Shaping childrens engagement with literary texts through email: examining old tasks in new contexts, Simpson A, University of Sydney/Research & Development
- AGQTP Project with North Sydney Demonstration School, Simpson A, Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST)/Australian Government Quality Teacher Program (AGQTP)
- An investigation of the potential of online book discussion to develop childrens e-literacy, Simpson A, DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Newly Appointed Staff (NAS)
- Multimedia Authoring & Editing Equipment, Anderson M, Gibson R, Dufficy P, Georgakis S, Harbon L, Pickup M, O'Connor D, Simpson A, Unsworth L, Thomas A, University of Sydney/Major Equipment Grant