Dr. Yeow-Tong Chia is Senior Lecturer in History Curriculum Education at the University of Sydney, where he teaches History Curriculum units in the combined degree and the Master of Teaching programs. He is also the Country Coordinator for Singapore with the Sydney Southeast Asia Centre.
Yeow-Tong completed his Ph.D. from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto in the fields of history of education as well as comparative, international and development education. His research examined the role of education in the formation of the Singapore developmental state, in which he explored the interconnections between changes in history, civics and social studies curricula, as well as the politics of nation building.
His other research interests include history education and citizenship education in Singapore and Australia, the teaching of Chinese history in Ontario’s high schools, Chinese Canadian history in Canadian history education, and education and developmental state formation.
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- History of education
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- International and comparative education
Research on teaching and learning
- Social sciences, including civics
Keywords: history, state formation, comparative and international education, history curriculum, citizenship education
- 2014-2017, "Exploring Hybrid Universities in East Asia: Cultures, Values and Changes", Asia Pacific Higher Education Research Partnership, Research Cluster 3 (https://apherp.org/research-cluster-3/). Project members: Sheng-Ju Chan, Molly N. N. Lee, Morshidi Sirat, Rui Yang, William Yat Wai Lo, Cheng Cheng Yang, Akiyoshi Yoneszawa, Jisun Sung, Edilberto C. de Jesus, Yeow-Tong Chia, Nhai Nguyen, Ly Tran, Tsui-Ting Kang
- Co-convenor, Comparative and International Education Research (CoInEd) Network
- Singapore Country Coordinator, Sydney Southeast Asia Centre
- President, Malaysia and Singapore Society of Australia (MASSA)
- Co-convenor, History and Education Special Interest Group, Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE)
- General Council Member, Asian Studies Association of Australia, 2015-2016
- Co-convenor, 18th MASSA Symposium, 5-6 December 2013, University of Sydney
- Editorial Board Member: Historical Encounters; International Journal of Comparative Education and Development
- reviewer ofAsia Pacific Journal of Education,Citizenship Teaching and Learning,Comparative Education Review,Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, Educational Philosophy and Theory,European Education, Historical Encounters, History of Education,History of Education Review,International Journal of Comparative Education and Development,Journal of Curriculum Studies, Journal of Intercultural Studies, Paedagogica Historica, PORTAL: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies
2016-17 DVC Education Innovation Grant co-recipient (Team Leader: Tim Allender, Team Members: Kate Smyth, Yeow-Tong Chia James Goulding)
2015 SSEAC Conference Fund Recipient
2014-15 SSEAC Regional Mobility Fund Recipient
2013 Beijing Normal University '985 Project' seed funding program for collaborative research for project 'Sino-western culture conflict and dialogue: Education and State Formation in China (1912-1949), with Professor SUN Banghua (Beijing Normal University)
2012-13 University of Macau Multi-Year Research Grant Level I project, 'Academic Profession under the Impact of University Internationalization: A Case Study in Macau' Principal investigator: Dr. Yan Wang (UMacau), Co-investigators: Dr. Yeow-Tong Chia (USyd), Dr. Min-Chuan Sung (UMacau), Dr. Peggy Vong (UMacau)
April 2010 Berta Vigil Laden Travel Fund for AERA 2010 Conference
2009 Lee Kong Chian Research Fellowship
(Beijing Normal University) collaborative research project on citizenship and history education in Republican China (1912-1949) with Professor SUN Banghua
- The mediation of civic learning by digital social media: An Australian - Singapore comparison. , Print M, Zhang W, Chia Y, Neoh J, Yoo R, Chen Z, Xi Y, wang Z, Office of Global Engagement/Partnership Collaboration Awards
In the media
- Interview by SBS Radio (in Mandarin) on the Asian Australian Academic Alliance; program aired on 13 January 2016.
- Interview by SBS Filipino Radio (in English) on the Asian Australian Academic Alliance; program aired on 12 January 2016.
- Interview by SBS TV on the haze in Southeast Asia, which aired on 29 September 2015.
- Radio interview by The Wire on Lee Kuan Yew's passing on 23 March 2015.
- Guest at TDM Talk show in Macau, speaking on Confucianism and education in China and Singapore; program aired on 7 March 2013 at Channel 81 on Macau Cable TV.
- Interview by International Herald Tribune (global edition of New York Times) on Singapore's Higher Education; article published on 27 August 2012.