Friends sitting together and laughing

How to apply

Start your journey with us
Find step-by-step guidance on how to apply for a CET course or program. You can also log in to complete an existing application or submit additional documents.

The application process


Apply online

Complete an online application and submit:

  • a copy of your passport
  • your latest English test result, read the English language requirements page for test results we accept
  • your University of Sydney offer letter, if applicable to your course.

Please use the group bookings form if you are applying as a group.


Your offer letter

CET will assess your application. If you are not eligible for the course you have selected we will make a recommendation for another English course.

You will then receive a confirmation email. We aim to email you an offer letter one to two days after you submit your online application.

If you have applied for a packaged visa, your offer letter will explain what you need to do.


Pay your fees

Your offer letter will show a breakdown of the fees payable.

You can pay by bank draft (in Australian dollars), credit card (Mastercard/Visa/Amex), or by telegraphic transfer. If you are already in Australia, you can also pay by bank draft or money order.

A surcharge will apply for payments by credit and debit cards from 1st August 2024:

  • Domestic Visa and Mastercard Credit:  0.7%
  • International Visa and Mastercard:  2.8%
  • American Express:  1.39%

Details of how to make your payment are included in your offer letter.

Please note that most course fees are payable at least 6 weeks prior to your course start date.


Confirmation of enrolment

If you are applying for a student visa, CET will send you a copy of your Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) for your visa application. This is usually sent within one to two weeks of receiving your fee payment. You will also receive a CET letter of acceptance.

If you are on a tourist or working holiday visa, we will send you a letter of acceptance when we receive your fee payment.


Apply for a visa

If you are applying for a student visa, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for the application process.

AusAID students do not need an eCoE from CET to be granted a student visa.

If you intend to study under a student visa, you will need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

CET can arrange OSHC for you with Bupa as part of the application process. Simply indicate the type of insurance required (single/couples/single parent/ family) on step 2 of the application form.

You may also arrange your own cover. See the overseas student health cover page for approved providers.

The University reserves the right to request additional information if you are a student visa applicant on the basis of a Genuine Student (GS) requirement as prescribed by the Australian government.

This may involve the submission of an additional application form seeking clarification about your personal circumstances, and may also involve an interview.

Further information may be requested by the University or by your education agent after you have applied.

Special conditions apply at CET before we accept your application

Before you apply, you must arrange for your support and general welfare until you turn 18 years of age.

Welfare and Accommodation Requirements

Please click here to find out more about the welfare and accommodation requirements