Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply in plenty of time, and even before completion of their current qualifying degree. In these circumstances, referee reports are essential as part of the application for admission.
To apply for a PhD, you need to demonstrate sufficient prior research experience and capability.
In most cases, to be eligible to apply for a PhD you will have:
- a Bachelors degree with first or upper second class Honours or
- a Masters degree performed at a high academic standard, and which includes a substantial component of original research, or
- an equivalent qualification that demonstrates research experience, excellence and capability.
These criteria constitute the minimum requirements for eligibility and do not guarantee admission. That remains at the discretion of the Associate Dean (HDR) for a given Faculty.
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo,);
- ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- hold a current scuba diving license;
- hold a current Working with Children Check;
- meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The academic requirements that are displayed are applicable to currently available degree only and are updated annually in October and may be changed without notice. The Handbooks Online and the University of Sydney Calendar are the official legal source of information relating to study at the University of Sydney, and you are referred to those documents.