Skip to main content
Unit of study_

Fieldwork - CSCD3091

Year - 2020

Students conduct observations and prescribed activities in a preschool, long day care centre or kindergarten with children between 1 and 6 years as well as professional interactions with staff. Students will acquire knowledge of the functions and routines in an early educational setting, develop professional communication skills and confidence in working with other professionals, understand how language is used and targeted as a part of the curriculum in preschool settings, develop skills in carrying out language stimulation activities with preschool age children, and relate observations to relevant theory and research.

1-hr lecture/week weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 12 Fieldwork occurs between 9am-5pm Monday-Friday minimum 12 hours over 6 weeks

Attend orientation and all lectures (0% barrier task), preschool visits (0% barrier task), 4 language activity plans (0% barrier task), required paperwork (0% barrier task), reflective statement 400 wd (0% barrier task), presentation (10mins) and coaching plan 500 words (0% barrier task)

Fieldwork Handbook (available on the Learning Management System (LMS))

Additional information
Students must hold a current CPR certificate and Police Check and Working with Children Check before they can enrol in this unit. Attendance at Fieldwork orientation is compulsory. Students must advise the Unit Coordinator before enrolling in this unit of study if they are a prohibited person under the NSW Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012


CSCD1032 and CSCD1034


Faculty: Medicine and Health

Semester 2 Early

03 Aug 2020

Department/School: Speech Pathology
Study Mode: Professional practice
Census Date: 31 Aug 2020
Unit of study level: Senior
Credit points: 6.0
EFTSL: 0.125
Available for study abroad and exchange: No
Faculty/department permission required? No
Courses that offer this unit

Non-award/non-degree study If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student. Cross-institutional study If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.

To help you understand common terms that we use at the University, we offer an online glossary.