This international field placement unit will be completed during the last semester of the candidature. Eligible students will maintain a weighted average mark of at least 70 per cent in their first 24 core credit points. Selection is a competitive process involving an (1) expression of interest, (2) interview and (3) based on academic performance including maintaining 70 per cent WAM for 24 credit points in second semester. The field placement expects students to use skills they have learnt from GLOH core units and core electives. Depending on the project a student will be expected to: formulate strategies or methods in the implementation of a program; develop and write training manuals, guidelines, proposals, reports or policy briefs; evaluate programs through collaborative work with the international partner institutions or organizations. Students are also expected to have underpinning knowledge about global health and ethics prior to departure as well as critically reflect on professional development skills, global health practices, health service or community engaged inter-professional learning and their experiences throughout the entire semester; to evaluate their own creative processes, develop effective communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills. Students will be expected to attend all pre-departure workshops if in Sydney otherwise arrangements will be made to provide information online to distant students. Students should also arrange to meet regularly with their supervisor and placement coordinator and undertake 6-12 weeks continuous work with an assigned host partner institution or organization. All assessment requirements are to be met and submitted for this unit.
continuous direct and face to face supervision throughout the final semester by specific gloh, sph staff and a supervisor from host organization; regular meetings with placements unit coordinator; face to face pre departure orientation, pre travel preparations, leadership, cultural competency, language workshops (5 days); 6-12 weeks in country placement; post placement debriefing and a seminar presentation
1 x reflective journal involving continuous reflection throughout the semester including early reflection activities during the pre-departure sessions designed to prepare students for their field placement as they engage and work with host partners and communities; in country reflection to analyze their observations regarding global health practices, ethical issues, community engagement, inter-professional and health service learning and what they are experiencing during their placements; culminating reflective experiences on how these experiences have impacted them. Students will also draw and reflect on their prior academic learning in previous semesters and consider how this apply to the field placement. Students will learn to examine and evaluate their own personal attitudes, implicit biases and how their backgrounds may impact the lens in which they view their field experiences as they work with host partners and diverse communities. 2,000 words (15%) 1 x host institution or organization supervisor report (15%) 1 x portfolio, consisting of tasks, deliverables, or outputs in country as developed by host partners (20%) plus 1 x major written report on an identified field placement specific global health topic or project relevant to the work of the host partner(s) of 5000 words (30%) (total 50%) 1 x oral presentation (20%)
One Planet: One Health. Editor Merrilyn Walton, Sydney University Press 2019. (free online)
This international field placement unit will be completed during the last semester of the candidature. Eligibility will be for students to maintain a weighted average mark of at least 70 per cent in their first 24 core credit points or at discretion of coordinator. Selection is a competitive process involving an expression of interest, interview and based on academic performance.
Completed 48 credit points