Skip to main content
Unit of study_

Global Health Dissertation B - GLOH5305

Year - 2020

Students will do an independent research project in an area of interest relevant to global health. The student will work with a supervisor, who will help the student select a topic and then guide the student through the process of conducting a research project. The project may be a systematic review of the literature, analysis of an existing dataset, a quantitative or qualitative research study, a policy analysis or some other project acceptable to the dissertation supervisor. Students considering doing this unit should submit an expression of interest, with proposed topic and supervisor, at least one semester prior to enrolment in the unit. This is necessary to enable supervisors to give advice about relevant elective units and, if necessary, to prepare applications for ethics committee approval. NOTE: GLOH5305 and GLOH5304 are intended for part-time students who wish to do their dissertations over two semesters. Students must complete both units of study.

1000-word project proposal (required); 10, 000 - 15, 000-word dissertation or a paper suitable for publication, as negotiated with supervisor (100%)

Additional information
Students should have a confirmed supervisor and approval of the unit coordinator and are expected to have a WAM of at least 75 per cent in the first 48 credit points of the Master of Global Health.


Faculty: Medicine and Health

Semester 2 Early

03 Aug 2020

Department/School: Public Health
Study Mode: Supervision
Census Date: 31 Aug 2020
Unit of study level: Fifth Year
Credit points: 6.0
EFTSL: 0.125
Available for study abroad and exchange: No
Faculty/department permission required? Yes
More details
Unit of Study coordinator: Professor Robert Cumming
HECS Band: 2
Courses that offer this unit

Non-award/non-degree study If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student. Cross-institutional study If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.

To help you understand common terms that we use at the University, we offer an online glossary.