Skip to main content

Higher Degree by Research

FAQs for Higher Degree by Research students (HDRs)

The University is committed to supporting HDR students whose research plans have been impacted by the unforeseen circumstances of COVID-19.

If you are a current HDR student, please visit the research support section of the Intranet (requires UniKey access) for further information, including extensions to submission deadlines and centrally funded scholarships, general bursaries, submission milestones and Annual Progress Reviews.

All HDR and honours students will be able to come to campus to complete their research, subject to the following:

More information is available for HDR students via Research Support on the Intranet (requires UniKey access).

Yes, most HDR coursework units are available remotely. From 2021 all HDR students must complete HDR coursework requirements. A full list of units can be found on our postgraduate research web page.

More than 250 coursework units of study are available for HDR students to study remotely (subject to current border closures and public health advice). There are some exceptions and students should refer to the units of study for further information. The following HDR units of study are not available remotely in 2021:

  • PERF5610 Arts and creative industries placement
  • OLET5610 Multivariate data analysis
  • OLET5616 Experimental design for life sciences
  • AERO8200 Advanced Aerodynamics
  • AERO8750 Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems 
  • AMME9450 Design and Production 
  • CHEM5101 Special Topics in Chemistry 1
  • CHEM5102 Special Topics in Chemistry 2

Yes, you will need to discuss your research project changes in detail with your supervisor before you commence your HDR course online.

Consider moving forward project work such as literature reviews and systematic reviews, until you can be on-campus to use research facilities and labs. Please discuss in detail with your supervisor.

Unfortunately, if you do not have an Australian bank account, we are unable to pay your stipend. However, you will receive backpay once you have been able to provide your Australian bank account details to the University.

If you are an enrolled HDR student (including Masters by research and PhD students) with evidence of a current research grant from a Commonwealth agency or support from a relevant government agency outlining why the research is considered essential and/or in Australia’s national interest and how their role is critical to the research, you are eligible to apply for, and may be granted, a travel exemption to enter Australia. More information is available on the Home Affairs website

Students who intend to apply for an individual travel exemption are encouraged to contact the University at  Students will be asked to complete a brief survey which will assist the University in supporting your return if granted a travel exemption by the Department of Home Affairs.

Students who have been granted an individual travel exemption by the Department of Home Affairs are encouraged to contact so that the University can assist in supporting your return to Australia.

Last updated November 2021

Contact us