Charmaine Bonus is a registered nurse with post-registration experience primarily in critical care. She is still working within the post-anaesthetic recovery unit specialty area in order to maintain clinical currency. Her nursing experience spans across the areas of neurosurgery, urology, paediatrics, cardiovascular, general surgical/medical, gynaecology, orthopaedics, CCL, ICU/HDU, maternity, and operating theatres.
Charmaine completed her Bachelor of Nursing degree at Western Sydney University with the assistance of the UWS Smart Start Scholarship. She then went on to complete her postgraduate studies through the University of Technology Sydney, completing a postgraduate diploma of nursing, with a sub-major in recovery and anaesthetics. In early 2012, she graduated with a master's degree in nursing, majoring in clinical education. In order to gain the experience that coupled with her master's degree major, Charmaine has worked as a clinical facilitator for WSU, as well as for UTS, providing guidance in the application of clinical skills in accordance with university and facility protocols.
Since 2013, Charmaine has worked with Sydney Nursing School in a primarily teaching focused capacity for the pre-registration courses. Most recently in 2019, Charmaine graduated from a Master of Education (Research) at The University of Sydney, completing a thesis on situated learning aspects for pre-registration nursing education through the School of Education and Social Work.
- Nursing education
- Interprofessional learning
- Work Integrated Learning
- Health Workforce
Charmaine currently teaches nursing at the pre-registration level, consisting of undergraduate, postgraduate and combined degree students. She values highly continuous education and learning in life, and is eager to develop as an academic in both areas of teaching and research.
- 2020 USYD Strategic Education Grant - Clinical Debrief Model for Nursing and Allied Healthcare Students ($9,000)
- 2020 USYD Student Life Grant - Westmead Connect Program ($30,000)
- 2020 USYD Student Life Grant - Westmead Home Wards Social Fund ($10,000)
- Australian Nurse Teachers Society (ANTS)
- University of Western Sydney Alumni
- University of Technology, Sydney Alumni
- The University of Sydney Alumni
- Xi Omicron Chapter of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI)
- NSW OTA (Operating Theatre Association)
- ACORN (Australian College of Perioperative Nurses)
- 2005 UWS Smart Start Scholarship
- 2019 Faculty of Medicine and Health Carer Travel Grant– to provide support for primary carers towards costs associated with caring duties that arise from international travel for research/scholarship related activities
- Australian and New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators (ANZAHPE) 2019 Conference - Poster Presentation: 'Beyond inter-professional insight: The value in taking a grassroots approach'
Australasian Nurse Educators’ Conference 2019 (Dunedin, NZ) presentation - '“Bridging the gaps through a new model of delivery: A situated learning environment for pre-registration nursing students.”
“Innovative models for embedding students in health facilities” Education Grand Rounds at Westmead Hospital August 2019
In the media
- Twitter account: twitter.com/charmainebonus
- Westmead Re-development and the (Graduate Entry) Masters of Nursing student cohort commencing in 2016. Project update no. 51. Link: bit.ly/1TXAlGp
- Master of Nursing (Graduate Entry) launches at Westmead heath precinct. WSLHD News. March 3, 2016. Link: bit.ly/1ReJAkL
- Master of Nursing (Graduate Entry) course promotional video. Recording from Westmead Precinct campus / faciltities. September 19, 2016. Link: youtu.be/Dxb7OyR42B8