This project aims to understand the microscopic origin of ferromagnetism in Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors, and to direct the fabrication of high quality Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors.
High quality diluted magnetic semiconductors are required to realize spintronics - the next generation electronics. Although Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors above room temperature have been widely reported, there are strong variations in the reported spintronic behaviours. In particular, the origin of ferromagnetism is not clear. Therefore, there is a major opportunity for the application of new, element- and position-specific analysis techniques for revealing the microscopic origin of ferromagnetism in DM. In this project, we will employ atom probe and other microscopic techniques to study the nanostructural effects in Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors. The aims are to understand the microscopic origin of ferromagnetism in Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors, and to direct the fabrication of high quality Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 1635