This project will use genotype-by-sequencing approaches to determine differences in genetic diversity between populations of farmed black tiger prawns (Penaeus monodon) originating from diverse geographical locations and determine how selection over several generations leaves selection signatures. Essential components of the project will be the identification of genome-wide SNP loci and SNP-based genotyping of large numbers of founder and breeding program prawns.
The desired candidate will preferably have a background in population genetics/genomics, computational analyses and basic molecular genetics methodologies.
There are several projects available through this program (as advertised in Research Supervisor Connect). A candidate will need to apply and secure APA/UPA, IPRS, or other equivalent scholarship. For more information on what the ARC Research Hub for Advanced Prawn Breeding will achieve and partners please visit https://research.jcu.edu.au/itrh-apb
The University of Sydney Contacts:
Dr Mehar Khatkar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A/Prof Peter Thomson (email@example.com)
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 1995