To investigate the sculpting of carbon-based structures through controlled electric field and/or laser excitation, through first-principles based calculations.
Nanotechnology is currently one of the leading scientific fields, intrinsically multidisciplinary and holding the potential to lead to real-world breakthroughs in for example the areas of nanoelectronics, clean energy, and green sustainable environment. Diamond and, graphene-based structures are of high current interest due to their unique physical properties and the ability to control and modify their atomic geometry and consequently their physical and chemical properties. This project will investigate how and whether the performance of several such carbon-based structures (surfaces, sheets and quantum dots) can be enhanced and controlled by using an electric-field and/or laser excitation. For example selective graphene oxide reduction (removing C atoms) and the stabilising of unique morphologies on diamond surfaces through laser irradiation. The studies will be carried out using first-principles quantum mechanical density-functional theory calculations and involve collaboration with Macquarie University.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2164