Sustainable agricultural production is essential as demand for food increases and environmental concerns heighten. Redirecting waste into alternate sectors of production increases sustainability. This project intends to optimise the use of vegetable waste as a feed source for ruminant livestock, whilst minimising greenhouse gas emissions, by employing analytical techniques, next generation sequencing, and whole farm emissions assessment. This project intends to optimise vegetable preservation methods for animal consumption, and enhance their nutritive value and digestibility. A successful framework will ensure efficient resource utilization and increase economic and commercial sustainability of agricultural production systems.
Additional supervisors are Dr Sarah Jade Meale (UQ) Prof. Tim McAllister (USYD/Canada)
Dr Kim Stanford (Canada)
- Opportunity to travel overseas (Canada) and inter-state and work with a multidisciplinary team.- Opportunity available for Honours, Masters, PhD candidates and Post-Doc.
HDR Inherent Requirements In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree; - Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks; - Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving licence;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2293