The project will focus on implementing Partial Least Squares Path Modelling techniques to determine the military turnover drivers and their contribution to turnover. An economical submodel will also be appended with the PLS-PM model to calculate the loss on drivers. The most important initial step is to determine the variables the Department of Defence believes are important to be included. This may be achieved through team collaboration with the Workforce Planning Branch at the Department of Defence.
In collaboration with the Department of Defence, this project will provide professional analysis of the current military attrition rate and suggest the construction of an index that measures military turnover drivers and their contribution to turnover using PLS-PM techniques. An economical submodel will then be appended with the PLS-PM model to calculate the loss on drivers. The input data to the model (and submodel) will be via two defferent excel sheets. The input data can be collected from previous surveys and any other resources within the WPB. The most important initial step is to determine the variables the Department of Defence want to implement. As the number of variables increase, the complexity of the model and its maintenance will follow. WPB may consider for example, high and low cost occupations, tranings, ranks, etc to reduce the number of variables. This project intends to apply machine learning tolls to reduce the manual work and model's maintenance.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2457