The THz spectrum is of great technological and scientific interest. However it is challenging because of the extremely limited range of components. This project will develop components that will have transformative impact - waveguides, including compact metamaterial clad waveguides, and flexible waveguides.
Using our in-house fibre drawing facility will permit the fabrication of metamaterial clad compact THz waveguides, and soft polymer flexible anti-resonant waveguides. You will design and fabricate these structures, test them in our state-of-the-art scanning THz time domain spectroscopy facility. Further optimisation will lead to demonstration of practical devices with real-world impact.
This project builds on pioneering work by our group over the last 8 years in applying fibre-drawing to practical realisation of metamaterials, and over the last two years in drawing extremely low Youngs modulus polymers.
Additional supervisors: Boris Kuhlmey, Alessio Stefani, Deepak Jain
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2467