Genomics of deafness in the Dalmatian and Australian Cattle Dog
Dalmatian and Australian Cattle Dog breeds are at increased risk of deafness compared with other dog breeds in Australia. Our project explores the links between deafness, coat colour and other novel loci in these breeds.
Professor Claire Wade.
School of Life and Environmental Sciences
Students working on this project will have the opportunity to explore the genomics of complex traits. Breeders from these breeds are keen to use genetic and genomic technologies to improve health and welfare outcomes for their dogs. We are testing loci that we have in hand for population impact and are exploring the impact on deafness risk of newly discovered gene loci.
Students working on this project may be required to travel to dog shows and interact with dog breeders to conduct measurements and collect DNA samples.
The additional supervisors for this project are Dr Bianca Waud (Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Systems Biology) and Ms Georgina Child.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree; Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.); Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
Want to find out more?
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2682
Other opportunities with
Professor Claire Wade