Mental health disorders are one of the leading causes of burden of disease in youth. Greater understanding of the aetiology of behavioural addictions is essential to guide the development of interventions to minimise the substantial related harms. The proposed research is critically needed to untangle the relationship between gambling and gaming disorders and comorbid mental health problems in young people.
The project will be developed by the student with assistance and guidance from the supervisor. A range of methodologies will be used, but these may include longitudinal population cohort studies and experimental studies.
This research will be part of a larger collaborative multidisciplinary program of research being undertaken at the Gambling Treatment and Research Clinic and Gather team of the Brain and Mind Centre which aims to look at the impact of technology on decision-making and risk from a multidisciplinary perspective. This research will aim to have real-world applications on policies and practice to minimise harms.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2688