Global threats to coral reefs are driving a wave of coral restoration efforts. This project will focus on identifying the role of fish assemblages in facilitating or inhibiting coral restoration efforts.
This project will take place as part of the EcoRRAP (Reef Restoration and Adaptation Program) on the Great Barrier Reef and will involve working with a diverse group of researchers from multiple institutions. The student will be expected to develop specific testable hypotheses about the effects of resident fish assemblages on coral restoration efforts. There will be a strong field component to the research and the project would involve conventional (underwater visual census, photo quadrat, behavioural observations) as well as novel (3D mapping, stereo video, image analysis) methodologies.
Student will need a valid Australian drivers license as well as be a competent and experienced SCUBA diver.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2858