Homo Integralis 4: Orienting attention for moving observers
The goal of this project is to understand the role of vestibular input in the orienting of attention. Again, we look at the role of attention under conditions where observers are moving (active), or being moved (passive), using a state of the art 7 DOF motion simulator and head-mounted display.
Professor Frans Verstraten.
School of Psychology
William James wrote “everybody knows what attention is”. However, given the number of papers that were published after he wrote that statement shows that there was more to the story. The goal of this project is to understand the role of vestibular input in the orienting of attention. Again, we look at the role of attention under conditions where observers are moving (active), or being moved (passive), using a state of the art 7 DOF motion simulator and head-mounted display.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving licence;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
Want to find out more?
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2954
Other opportunities with
Professor Frans Verstraten