Skip to main content

Changes to travel from New Zealand

We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus outbreak in New Zealand to understand its implications for you and your study in Semester 1. We are aware the New South Wales Government has made it mandatory for travellers from Auckland entering New South Wales to complete mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days.

We are hopeful the outbreak will be resolved shortly, and you will be able to enter New South Wales, if you haven’t already, to begin your studies shortly.

If mandatory hotel quarantine is not lifted, this may have implications on your study if you are not in Australia.

What you need to do

If you are on a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)

As per the Higher Education Support Act 2003, New Zealand citizens are required to be in Australia for all their studies to be awarded and maintain a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). If you are unable to make it to Australia before the Semester 1 census date on 31 March, you will not be able to remain enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student for Semester 1, 2021.

You can change your Semester 1, 2021 enrolment to full fee paying. This will require you to pay your fees at a significantly higher course rate for your units of study, and you will not be eligible for any government assistance.

If you want to suspend your studies, you'll need to do this by the 31 March census date.You can suspend your studies for a semester, research period or for a full academic year. When you’re able to return to Australia for your studies you will be able to continue in your Commonwealth Supported Place.

If your travel plans have been affected

If you are unable to travel to campus before the last day to add a unit of study on 12 March but still want to remain enrolled, you will need to select units in Sydney Student where the location is 'RE’, meaning remote. If you have already enrolled in units of study that are not ‘RE’, you will need to change them to ‘RE’. Find out more information on the Selecting units in Sydney Student page.

If you don’t want to study remotely, you’ll need to suspend your studies, by the 31 March census date.

Frequently asked questions

I have already started classes on campus, but I need to quarantine and study remotely, can I change back to face to face classes once my quarantine period is complete?

You should contact your unit of study coordinator – if your unit has remote offerings, where possible, they may allow you to attend remotely for the first two weeks of study, and then resume face to face teaching when your quarantine period is over.

What do I do if I have mandatory face to face classes?

You should seek advice from your unit of study coordinator or academic advisor.

I don’t have good internet at connection at home, what can I do?

You should contact your unit of study coordinator to see if there are any other options.

Last updated: 03 March 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.