Skip to main content

Discontinue a unit of study

Discontinue fail (DF)

If you withdraw from a unit of study between the DC and DF deadlines, you'll receive a grade of DF. This means you are financially liable for the unit and will not receive a mark for it. It will count as a fail on your transcript but does not affect your Weighted Average Mark (WAM).

The DF deadline for a unit of study is the end of classes for that unit.

To discontinue a unit up until the DF deadline, log in to Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Units of study’, ‘Other options’, then ‘Discontinue from a unit of study’).

A DF grade can be a trigger for academic progression, so you may receive a warning that you haven’t made satisfactory progress in your degree.

If you experience severe and unexpected illness or misadventure after the DC date you can lodge an application for a Discontinued not to count as failure.

If you’re an international student, a DF grade will reduce your study load. You need to apply for a reduced study load, and provide the necessary supporting documents. If you are granted a reduced study load, a DF grade will be given for your unit of study.

If you receive a DF grade, it’s considered that you have made an unsuccessful attempt at the unit. This is taken into account regarding progression, exclusion and calculating your WAM for graduation ranking.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 07 October 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.