Skip to main content

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance for international students that helps to cover medical costs in Australia. It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your studies.

If you’re an international student, organising your overseas health cover is an important part of accepting your offer from the University. At the time of acceptance you would have been given the option of organising your cover through the University’s preferred provider Bupa Success Overseas Student Health Cover or through one of the Australian Government's approved providers.

If you haven’t got OSHC yet, you can find information on how to arrange your health cover and which students are exempt.

How OSHC works

If you’re insured under Bupa Success Overseas Student Health Cover and you use the University Health Service, your medical fees will be billed to Bupa OSHC directly and you won’t have to pay anything at your appointment. If you’re not covered by Bupa, or if your membership card hasn’t arrived yet, you’ll need to pay for your appointment then be reimbursed by your OSHC provider later.

Find out more about OSHC on the Department of Health website.

If you need help finding a doctor near you, visit the Bupa website.

Changes to your visa

Changing the length of your visa will affect your OSHC. If you finish your studies early and your visa is no longer valid, you can get a refund for the remainder of your OSHC cover. If you extend your visa, you'll need to purchase additional cover. You can organise this by contacting your insurance provider.

If you change your visa type during your studies, you'll no longer be covered by OSHC and will need to find alternative types of coverage. Contact your insurance provider to apply for a refund of the unused OSHC coverage.

Bupa Success Overseas Student Health Cover

Arriving in Australia

If you have chosen to have the University arrange your OSHC through Bupa, your OSHC begins one week before your course starts. If you plan to arrive in Australia earlier, contact Bupa Care to adjust your cover. If you’re already in Australia, visit your Bupa representatives on Level 4 of the Wentworth Building from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday with your passport and arrival stamp as soon as possible.

Once you've updated your address in myBupa and have arrived in Australia, you will need to order our OSHC membership card that is necessary to use your health cover. It is easy to do, just follow the steps below:

· Log in to myBupa

· Click the ‘cover’ option in the menu on the home page

· Then select ‘order a membership card’

· Check your contact details are correct

· Then select ‘order’. 

Students enrolled at the Centre for English Teaching (CET) can collect their membership card in person from the CET reception desk.

Managing your health cover

Information about your Bupa OSHC cover is available by logging into your myBupa account. To view your policy details and print your certificate of insurance, you will need to log in. If you haven't used the Bupa Online Services before, please first register to log in. You will need your policy number, which would have been sent to you via email from Bupa.

If you haven't created a username and password for your account, or don't know your details, you can contact Bupa via their website or by calling 134 135. You can also manage your health cover and access OSHC information on your phone with myBupa.

Bupa representatives on campus

If you have any questions about your insurance or membership card, you can speak with Bupa representatives on Level 4 of the Wentworth Building from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Allianz overseas student health cover

Students that have OSHC organised by the University of Sydney's previously preferred provider, Allianz, will continue to be supported and can contact the team at Allianz Care

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 10 April 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.