Skip to main content

Experience: your overseas study

While you’re away

Contacts in an emergency situation

Should an emergency arise while you are abroad, you are encouraged to access the following resources/services (available 24 hours a day):

  • University of Sydney Security Services: +61 2 9351 3333
  • DFAT’s Consular Emergency Centre (CEC): +61 2 6261 3305
  • AIG Emergency Assist (medical emergencies): +60 3 2772 5641 (reverse charge)

In circumstances requiring emergency assistance from police, fire or ambulance, you should contact local authorities. Ensure you familiarise yourself with the relevant local emergency services number(s) in your host country prior to arrival.

Medication overseas

If you require medication, don't assume that prescription or over the counter medication that is legal in Australia will be legal in other countries. If you need to take medication with you, check with the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of your host country to find out the requirements. Your regular medication may not be available overseas, or may come in different strengths. If you do need to carry medication from Australia, carry a letter from your doctor describing what it is, how much you'll be taking with you and that it's for your own personal use. Always keep medication in its original packaging.

Visit Smartraveller for more detailed information on taking care of your health overseas.

Culture shock

Culture shock is the merging of your thoughts, opinions, lifestyle and values with your host country’s culture. This merge may cause stress because everything may not join up neatly when you arrive overseas. It is natural to feel culture shock upon arrival to your host country, and then again once you start studying in the new place. Differences are normal in a foreign country, and change can be exciting, frustrating, and confusing all at the same time.

It is important that you manage your expectations, keep an open mind and be flexible and don't be too hard on yourself if you are experiencing culture shock.

Counselling services at your host university should be able to provide you with resources and tips for settling in and experiencing culture shock.

Here are a few resources that may help:

If you are still not feeling like yourself after a few weeks, we encourage you to speak with the international staff at your host university who can refer you to other resources – counselling, student mentors or overall general assistance.

Mobility Sydney Global

  • Level 4 Jane Foss Russell Building G02
Opening hours

9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 29 November 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.