Skip to main content

Publish and promote your research

As a researcher, you will want to promote your work and build professional standing. We can support you throughout this process.

Higher degree by research student profile

We encourage you to create a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Student Profile. This profile provides the opportunity to showcase your work and raise your professional standing.

Find out more about creating your HDR student profile.

Confidential material

Your thesis will be available in the University Library for public use once it's completed.

If your research requires working with confidential or restricted information, this may change how your thesis is examined and stored in the library. For example, if your work:

  • involves collaborating with industry partners
  • is dependent on intellectual property that could be misused by others
  • includes content that may put your interests at risk.

You should talk to your supervisor early in your candidature if this is the case. Your dean and the Graduate Studies Committee of the Academic Board will need to approve a restricted appendix to your thesis, or restrict access to your thesis in the library. To do this, you will need to make a request in writing to your dean.

When you complete your Notice of Intent to Submit, you will be asked if your thesis contains information that may need restricted access. This is your last opportunity to indicate if your thesis contains confidential material. Changes cannot be made during or after your examination.


It’s important you understand the legal implications of copyright in relation to your research and written work. This includes how you should use the research and publications of others. The library has information on copyright, including a guide to copyright and your thesis.

If you’re undertaking research in musical studies, read our guide to music and copyright.

Intellectual property

If your research has resulted in the creation of something unique, intellectual property rights allow you to secure ownership of your concepts.

Commercial Development and Industry Partnerships (CDIP) manages intellectual property at the University and can provide you with information and advice.

Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre

  • HDRAC is closed for in-person enquiries

    Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus


Find your discipline contact

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 16 July 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.