Skip to main content

Sexual assault

Responding to an incident

Emergencies and safety on campus

In an emergency:

Dial triple zero (000)

Dial triple zero (000) for emergency services (fire/ambulance/police). Calling the police is the quickest way to get help in an emergency. To speak to NSW Police about an incident of sexual harassment or assault, dial triple zero (000) or contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.


Call campus security on 9351 3333

Notify Campus Security on 9351 3333. Campus Security are available 24 hours a day to assist with an emergency or safety threat. 

When someone you know has experienced sexual assault

If someone you know has experienced sexual assault, they may express a range of emotional and physical symptoms. There is no right or wrong way to react. The NSW Rape Crisis website provides information on common impacts of sexual assault.    

Responding to and supporting someone who has been sexually assaulted can be complex, but chances are they have come to you because they trust you. They are the one who should determine what steps and supports are best for them, including if they want to report the incident to the University and/or the police. You can help them access the support services and resources they need.

You can provide support by:

  • listening without interrupting
  • letting them express how they feel and respecting the words they use in reference to the assault
  • letting them know you believe what they are telling you and acknowledging their distress
  • letting them know that the assault was not their fault
  • respecting their decisions
  • directing them to support services that are available.
Last updated: 23 September 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.