Skip to main content

Sexual misconduct

Sexual misconduct help and support

Sexual misconduct is never the fault of the person who experienced it. If you have experienced sexual assault or any other kind of sexual misconduct on campus, online or offshore, there are services available to support you.

All support services provided by the University are LGBTQIA+ inclusive. You can also access LGBTQIA+ specific services included in the list below. If you would like find out more about the LGBTQIA+ support and advocacy on campus, read about our Pride Network.

Medical support

If you have serious injuries, call 000 and request an ambulance.

If you’ve been sexually assaulted, you may need to access medical care. A doctor can test and treat you for any sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and provide information on sexual assault and follow-up services.

Find your closest sexual health service on the NSW Government’s Health website or contact the University Health Service.

You also have the choice of having a forensic examination if you were assaulted very recently and are thinking of reporting the crime to the police. You can have this done “just in case” and you do not need to decide at the time whether or not you want to report to the police.

If you’d like information about accessing a forensic medical examination, contact Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sexual Assault Service or your local sexual assault service.


The Safer Communities Office has a partnership with the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sexual Assault Counselling Service to provide a confidential and free outreach clinic that facilitates priority access to sexual assault counselling for University of Sydney students. It is available to any students who have experienced sexual assault.

Appointments are available either by phone or face to face and are available every Thursday and Friday during semester and fortnightly outside of semester. Interpreter services are available upon request.

If you'd like to access this service, please contact the Safer Communities Office to make an appointment.

There are also a number of counselling and support services available external to the University.

Find a safe place

On-campus emergency accomodation is available if you need a safe space to stay. Contact the Safer Communities Office to have a confidential chat about your options. It is available 8.30am–5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Outside business hours contact Campus Security on +61 2 9351 3333 (available 24/7) to access emergency accommodation.

You can also access help with emergency accommodation through your student representative group.

Student organisation casework and support services

Independent student organisations at the University provide additional assistance for students, including support groups, advocacy and safe spaces.

Student Representative Council (SRC)

If you’re an undergraduate student, you can make a free appointment with an SRC Caseworker. Caseworkers can provide confidential assistance and support with student welfare issues.

The SRC also employs solicitors that can assist undergraduate students with legal matters free of charge, including advice and representation. Call +61 2 9660 5222 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, Sydney local time, to make an appointment.

Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association (SUPRA)

If you are a postgraduate student you can access free, confidential and independent advice from the Postgraduate Advocacy Service. 

Call +61 2 9351 3715 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (closed 12 to 1pm), Sydney local time, or email to make an appointment. Find out more on the SUPRA website.

For legal advice and information, you can contact SUPRA Legal Service.

Community support

24/7 National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service.
1800 737 732

NSW Sexual Violence Helpline

24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in NSW who has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault, and their non-offending supporters.
1800 424 017

NSW Health Sexual Assault Services - counselling and medical assistance

24/7 national telephone and online counselling service who can also provide crisis support and suicide prevention.
13 11 14

NSW Family and Community Services Link2Home crisis line
24/7 telephone service providing information and referral to specialist homelessness services, temporary accommodation and other appropriate services for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
1800 152 152

NSW Domestic Violence Line

24/7 telephone service providing counselling and referrals to women experiencing domestic and family violence 
1800 656 463

An LGBTI health promotion organisation focusing on LGBTI sexual health, HIV prevention and HIV support.

A telephone and online counselling and referral service for people who are LGBTI.
1800 184 527 (3pm to 12am, Sydney local time, 7 days a week)

Last updated: 16 February 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.