Skip to main content

Student Services and Amenities Fee

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a fee that students pay each semester to fund non-academic services and support programs at the University.

What is the SSAF?

The SSAF was introduced by the Australian Government to help universities fund support services for students including sporting and recreational activities, childcare, accommodation, community festivals, student publications, career and employment advice, and legal services. Find details of what the SSAF funds are used for.

Most domestic and international students at the University need to pay the SSAF each semester unless you are:

  • enrolled at the University in a cross-institutional program
  • enrolled in a course charged at an offshore fee rate
  • a commencing or continuing student enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing Post-Registration or Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) program delivered in agreement with the Singapore Institute of Management
  • a continuing international offshore student enrolled in the Graduate Diploma/Master of Museum Studies undertaking the course in Hong Kong through the HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
  • attending the University on a formal exchange or Study Abroad program from an overseas institution
  • a University of Western Australia student participating in the United States Studies Centre’s Washington DC or Los Angeles Placement Program
  • attending the University from an overseas university as part of an approved Cotutelle PhD or joint PhD program.

How much do I pay?

The maximum annual SSAF charge is determined by the government.

Rates per semester Full time (Semester study load of 0.375 equivalent full-time student load or more) Part time (Semester study load of 0.374 equivalent full-time student load or less)
2023 $163.00 $122.25
2024 $175.50 $131.62

When is it due?

The SSAF is charged at enrolment and is due on a different date to your tuition fees.


Event or deadline Date


Event or deadline Date

How do I pay?

View your outstanding SSAF amount on your Student Financial Statement in Sydney Student (go to 'My finances', 'Your finances', then 'View financial statements').

For information about payment methods, see Paying your fees.

Eligible students may be able to defer all or part of their SSAF through SA-HELP.

Discontinuing your course

If you discontinue your course before the relevant census date, you will not be liable for the fee. If you have chosen to defer the fee using SA-HELP, you will not incur a SA-HELP debt. If you've already paid your fee, you may be eligible for a refund.

Under the Higher Education Support Act (2003), if you discontinue your course after the relevant census date, you will still be liable for the fee, and you will not be able to receive a refund under special circumstances or remission of a SA-HELP debt.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 17 October 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.