Skip to main content

Student cards

As well as identifying you as a student at the University, your student card allows you to access campus facilities, borrow from the library, print and photocopy, and gives you access to a wide range of travel and student discounts.    

How to get your student card

COVID-19 update: posting out student cards

If you have classes on campus this semester, you need to bring your student card with you to access buildings.

Due to COVID-19 and Government advice we will only be issuing cards to students studying in Australia – you will need to provide an Australian address for us to post your card to or you can choose to collect the card by appointment. If you need to order a student card, you should apply for one as soon as possible as it could take a few weeks for your card to arrive. Read our information below on how you will receive your student card.

We are experiencing a high volume of card enquiries, and there will be some delays issuing student cards. It currently takes 5 to 10 business days to issue a replacement card. If you require a student card to verify your identify for an exam, we recommend you use alternative government-issued IDs.

Submitting your photo

When you commence your course, you are required to submit a passport style photo for your student card. When you upload your photo, you'll need to make sure that it meets the photo guidelines (pdf, 69KB) or it will not be approved. It can take up to 10 working days to assess your photo.

If you didn’t submit a photo during enrolment, you'll need to log in to Sydney Student and upload a passport-style photo (go to 'My studies', then 'Enrolment' and select 'Upload photo'). You can do this at any time.

If you have any issues when uploading a photo, we recommend you use the recommended browser, Mozilla Firefox (Windows) or Safari (MacOS). If the error persists, you can contact

Commencing students in Semester 2, 2021

If you are a student commencing a new course in Semester 2, 2021, your card will be available closer to the start of the semester. Once the photo you have submitted through Sydney Student has been approved, we will email you at your University student email with further instructions. After receiving your photo approval confirmation email, you will then need to fill out the Student card application form (pdf, 472KB) and send it with a copy of your proof of identity documents to

You can choose to pick-up the card by appointment or have the card posted to your nominated Australian address. If posted, your card will be sent by regular post through Australia Post and you will receive a confirmation email when your student card has been sent in the mail. If you have not received your card within 10 business days after receiving the confirmation email, contact

If your course starts earlier than the regular Semester 2, 2021 session and you require your student card urgently due to having classes on-campus, please fill out the Student card application form (pdf, 472KB)  with a copy of your proof of identity documents. You will need to provide your course name and start date in the application. Email your completed form and documents to We will contact you with an appointment booking link to collect your student card. Please note that we will not be accepting any walk-ins.

Previously enrolled students commencing new courses

If you are commencing a new course directly after completing a previous course your existing student card will still be valid and you do not have to replace it.

If you have previously studied at the University but did not commence your new course directly after completing previous study, you will need a new student card. Please submit a Student card application form (pdf, 472KB) and send it with a copy of your proof of identity documents to We will post your student card to your nominated Australian address.

Continuing students returning onshore for on-campus study

If you have uploaded your photo in a previous semester but were unable to collect your student card due to being offshore, your student card is archived at the Student Centre and you can arrange for delivery or collection once you have arrived in Australia. Please fill out the Student card application form (pdf, 472KB) with a copy of your proof of identity documents and email

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 18 June 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.