Skip to main content

Student cards

Applying for a replacement card

COVID-19 update: replacement cards

If you have classes on campus this semester, you need to bring your student card with you to access buildings.

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 and Government advice we will only be issuing cards to students with an Australian address, and will have limited in-person card collections this semester. If you need to order a student card, you should apply for one as soon as possible as it could take a few weeks for your card to arrive. Read our information below on how you will receive your student card.

We are experiencing high volume of card enquiries, and there will be some delays issuing student cards. It currently takes 5 to 10 business days to issue a new student card or a replacement card. If you require a student card to verify your identify for an exam, we recommend you use alternative government-issued IDs.

How to apply

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to pay for a replacement card online. If you require a new student card due to a name change, expiration of your old card requiring renewal or your card becomes unreadable because of wear and tear, you are not required to pay for the replacement and can move to the next step below.

You will need to submit a Request to post student card application form (pdf, 300KB) and send it with a copy of your proof of identity documents and a scanned copy of your current student card to We will post your student card to a nominated Australian address or issue you with a booking link if you want to pick it up from the Student Centre.

If posted, your card will be sent by regular post through Australia Post and you will receive a confirmation email when your student card has been sent in the mail. If you have not received your card within 10 business days after receiving the confirmation email, contact

If you lose your Concession Opal card, contact Opal Customer Care on 13 67 25 (13 OPAL) to report it immediately and order a replacement.

Your existing SydPay account will be linked to your new card when it’s issued, so you don’t need to transfer funds.

Temporary library cards

A temporary library card allows you to access library facilities in situations where your student card has been deactivated. You can apply for a temporary library card if you are:

  • a postgraduate student who has suspended
  • a student intending to do honours or study for a postgraduate degree
  • an HDR student under examination.

Find out more on the Library website

Student Centre

Limited service

As a precaution, we’re currently closed for in-person enquiries.

Find out more about our service


1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444


Last updated: 08 January 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.