Skip to main content

Tuition fees and other costs

Everything you need to know about your fees
Your fees are calculated based on your residency status, your calendar year of study, the course you are enrolled in, and government funding arrangements.

Update: 7 September 2020

Changes to higher education funding

On 19 June 2020 the Government announced its intention to make significant changes to higher education funding through the Job-ready Graduates Package.

The package has not yet been approved by Parliament and may be subject to further changes. If passed as currently proposed, the changes will mean that from 1 January 2021 the amounts students pay to take each unit of study in different disciplines (usually deferred through a HECS-HELP loan – the student contribution) will change. For new students, their contribution amounts will increase in some disciplines and decrease in others, compared to current levels.

Find out more about what the Government’s proposed changes could mean for you. Updates to the progress of the legislation can be found here.

We continue to follow the progress of the package carefully while considering the implications of the package for the University and Commonwealth supported students in future years.

Please monitor this page for updates.

Course fees

The cost of your course is updated each year.  Each course varies in price and you can check the individual course information page to find out the costs. On the course page, you will need to select the year you wish to start studying and your residency status (domestic or international). This will filter the information on the page so you can see the correct course cost. Tuition fees are paid by all international and domestic coursework students.

Please note: Course fees for 2021 for domestic students with a Commonwealth supported place are not yet available and are subject to the Government's proposed funding changes which have not yet been passed by Parliament as outlined above. You can view 2020 course fees on individual course pages at this time. We will update these pages with the 2021 student contribution amounts when they are available.

Commonwealth supported places

A Commonwealth supported place (CSP) means your course fees are partially subsidised by the Australian government and you pay a student contribution amount

There is no need to submit a separate application. Eligible students will be automatically considered for a CSP when lodging an application.

Undergraduate courses

Most domestic undergraduate students are eligible for a CSP in their course. Find a course for the indicative student contribution amounts for a specific degree.

Postgraduate coursework

CSP are available for some postgraduate courses for eligible domestic students. 

As places are government funded, the amount of available CSP, and applicable courses, varies year to year. CSP for postgraduate students are limited in number and are allocated based on academic merit.

Postgraduate courses with CSP

Explore the range of courses that are offering places in Semester 1 2021. CSP are also available for some graduate certificates and graduate diplomas, to check visit Sydney Courses.

Full fee courses

Most domestic postgraduate students and international students study in a full fee-paying place. The University calculates the tuition fees for single postgraduate coursework degrees based on an annual course fee. Search for your course to find out the costs.

FEE-HELP loans

Domestic postgraduate students may be able to get a FEE-HELP loan to assist with costs.

If you have questions about these loans, the Australian Government's Study Assist website has a 24-hour chat available.

Higher Degree Research fees

Tuition fees for domestic students undertaking a Higher Degree Research (HDR) at the University of Sydney are usually funded by the Australian Government through a Research Training Program (RTP) Tuition Fee Offset.

International research students usually study in full fee-paying place. The University calculates the tuition fees for Higher Degree Research programs based on an annual course fee. Find your course to find out the costs.

There is a range of competitive University scholarships available to support both domestic and international research students, which can cover tuition fees and/or provide a stipend (living allowance). International students are also encouraged to explore scholarship opportunities provided by an external funding source, such as the ministry of education or other government body, in their home country.   

Student Services and Amenities Fee

The University charges a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) each year to to fund non-academic services and support programs at the University. This is charged for most courses but some programs of study are exempt. Find out this year's cost and which study programs are exempt.

General expenses

Most courses and units of study have required or recommended course materials, such as books, readers, materials and equipment.

Find out more on the Student website

Set a realistic budget by understanding the costs you’re likely to face as a student in Sydney. These may include accommodation, transport, and of course general living expenses such as food, phone bills, and socialising with your friends and family.

The Australian Government provides some useful resources and calculators to help plan your budget

Additional costs for international students

International students who apply to study onshore need to pay an application processing fee of AUD$125. The fee covers one year (two semesters or four research periods).

You can pay the fee by Visa or MasterCard by completing the secure online credit card payment screen at the end of the online application form. A surcharge of 1.53% percent will apply for these credit card payments. 

If you can't pay via credit card, please contact your bank to obtain a bank draft. The draft must be made payable to ‘The University of Sydney’ and be in Australian dollars (AUD$125). Please write your full name, date of birth and online application reference (IPU) number on the back of the bank draft and send it to:

Manager, International Fees Team
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia

Your application will be submitted once the original bank draft has been received and processed by the International Finance team. We cannot accept scanned cheques.

When does this fee not apply?

If you are:

  • A student who is currently enrolled in or completing a course at the University of Sydney. Answer ‘yes’ in the application form to the question ‘Are you a currently enrolled at the University?’ and enter your student ID number. 
  • A student with a full scholarship. Upload a copy of your financial guarantee letter in the scholarships section of the application form.
  • An applicant who has attended a recruitment event or roadshow and has a signed fee waiver form.

In each of these cases, once we've confirmed the information you've provided, we will waive the fee.

Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia. You will be required to pay or give evidence of your overseas student health cover when you accept your offer.

When you are offered a place to study with us, you will be required to pay a deposit equal to your first semester of tuition fees, to formally secure your place and be eligible to apply for a visa. The total amount will be confirmed in your letter of offer.

How to pay your fees

There are a number of ways to pay your fees. Make sure your payment is complete by the due date shown on your financial statement to avoid enrolment sanctions. It is possible to pay in overseas currency using Western Union.