Studying a Bachelor of Education (Secondary)

Answers to all your frequently asked questions
So you want to study education to become a high school teacher but have some questions. Like, how can I specialise to become a qualified science teacher? Can I teach music? And what are placements like? Well, we’ve got answers.

You offer one Secondary teaching degree? How do I specialise?

Short answer: That’s right – we now offer a single Bachelor of Education (Secondary) degree.

The new four-year Bachelor of Education (Secondary) degree, replaces the previous five-year combined education degrees. You get to choose two teaching areas to specialise in within the degree (see below for the full list of teaching areas).

You'll also study fundamental teaching/education subjects and experience learning situtaions in real classrooms via our professional placement program.

Learn more about the new degree here.

What teaching areas can I specialise in?

Short answer: You can complete a minor with your first teaching area and engage in flexible study for your second teaching area.

  • Aboriginal studies 
  • biology 
  • chemistry 
  • business studies 
  • drama 
  • economics 
  • English 
  • geography 
  • history (modern or ancient) 
  • languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew (modern or classical), Indonesian, Italian, Japanese,  Judaic Studies, Korean, Latin, Modern Greek or Spanish)
  • mathematics 
  • physics
  • TESOL (linguistics)

If you want to teach health and physical education, the Bachelor of Education (Health and Physical Education) will give you a professional qualification to teach in secondary schools in Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE).

Can I teach music?

Short answer: You can.

The Bachelor of Music (Music Education) offered by the Sydney Conservatorium of Music will prepare you for a career as a music teacher in both the primary and secondary school environment. 

Are professional placements available?

Short answer: Absolutely. In fact, they’re a big part of the course.

Professional experience is built into our secondary teaching degrees.

Most placements begin in third year and the amount of responsibility and duration of the placements progressively increases.

You’ll start by observing classes in schools to planning and running them under minimal supervision, developing the practical education skills required to become a professional teacher.

Are there other requirements for the Bachelor of Education (Secondary)?

Short answer: Yes. When you apply for the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) you have to complete a brief personal statement.

Click here to learn more about the Teacher Education Personal Statement and how we can help you with it.

Are there other pathways to becoming a teacher?

Short answer: There are.

Straight out of high school, you may not realise becoming a high school teacher is your calling, and that’s okay – we’ve got you covered.

Example: Let’s say you’ve completed a three years' full-time undergraduate degree (like a Bachelor of Arts).

Teachers in secondary education in Australia generally qualify to teach in two areas. The subject you majored in (eg. English), could become your first teaching area; the second subject you either majored or minored (eg. History) in could become your second teaching area. This pathway might allow you to enter our 2-year Master of Teaching (Secondary) which would allow you to become an accredited teacher after completing five years of university study. 

Besides becoming a high school teacher, are there other career paths?

Short answer: Yes. Education grads have the ability to work inside and outside classrooms.

As a qualified education professional, you’ll be able to pursue careers in school administration and management, curriculum design, education policy, specialist education, service learning, community engagement and information and communications technology.

Beyond teaching, specific roles examples include: corporate trainer, development manager, curriculum consultant, educational administrator, educational researcher, government policy adviser, sporting coach, community health consultant, and human resource manager.

What can I study?

Study in one of our graduate-entry courses to gain a professional teaching qualification or earn a specialisation in an area of interest to teach in secondary schools.



Prospective students should refer to our course pages for the most up-to-date information.

Related articles