Gain key information and resources to find work overseas, whether looking for graduate work, an internship, or jobs while travelling or on a gap year.
For Australian citizens, gaining international work experience can offer a number of benefits:
International students can apply for graduate recruitment programs in their home country, as well as internships during their study. It’s important to start planning your graduate job search early – identify the graduate recruitment closing dates for your country and industry, and research the skills and experience sought by employers. Organisations offering jobs to Australian university graduates vary each year.
1. Check out GoinGlobal, accessible via Sydney CareerHub, which offers valuable country information on local culture, recruitment practices and applications.
2. Identify local professional associations and industry bodies relevant to your job search. These organisations can provide important information including accreditation and qualifications required to work in their industry, employer directories, industry information, job vacancies and networking opportunities. Some Australian professional associations may have connections with related international associations.
3. Use online country-based business and phone directories to identify potential employers.
4. Refer to careers and recruitment information on local university and college websites, where you may find information on graduate recruitment and internships, as well as local application and job search advice.
5. Connect with your personal and professional networks for local recruitment advice and job contacts. University of Sydney Alumni Chapters based overseas are a good way to do this. Attend Sydney-based events related to international opportunities. These include Employer Information Sessions on campus, as well as careers fairs promoting international graduate recruitment opportunities.
6.. If you're a final year student or recent graduate looking to work in China, register with the Go8-AustCham China Grad Search (CGS) Portal operated by AustCham. This free tool is available to all Chinese graduates from Go8 Universities and to over 60,000 AustCham and CCOIC member companies.
Refer to the Smart Traveller website for helpful tips regarding travelling and working overseas. The Australian Taxation Office also offers up to date taxation information for Australians intending to work overseas.