A silouette of a group of people standing at the base of a mountain.

Mentors, conferences, and a community

8 December 2023
Five years of higher degree research excellence at the Matilda Centre
Everyone knows doing a PhD is a huge undertaking. But what is different about doing your PhD at the Matilda Centre? We asked five of our current PhD students in mental health and substance use to share their experience.

Undertaking a PhD is a long, inspiring, sometimes exhausting, but rewarding experience that delves deep into a research topic and can launch a research career. Many people undertake PhDs across Australia, including at The University of Sydney, to expand their horizons and take their passion to a new level. 

At the Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use, we are proud to be developing the next generation of researchers passionate about generating research to achieve a healthier Australia for all. 

Higher degree by research (HDR) students achieve their research goals through a mix of exposure to research experiences, mentoring, coaching and collaborative learning alongside their own personal PhD project. 

In the five years that the Matilda Centre has been a part of The University of Sydney, we have been proud to see nine students complete their PhD, and a cohort of fifteen students currently working towards their goal. 

To celebrate the fifth anniversary of the establishment of the Matilda Centre in the Faculty of Medicine and Health at The University of Sydney, we spoke with five of our current PhD candidates to learn more about them and why they chose the Matilda Centre to do their research. 

Jayden Sercombe

Jayden Sercombe. He is a man with short dark hair, a brown moustache and is wearing a patterned black shirt. He is smiling.

PhD Candidate and Research Assistant 

PhD title: The wellbeing of crisis supporters 

How far are you into your PhD process? I’m a year and a half into my PhD (halfway!). I also work as a Research Assistant at the Matilda Centre.

What is the most fulfilling part of conducting your PhD at the Matilda Centre?

The most fulfilling part of studying a PhD at Matilda is being able to work closely with participants and to hear their stories.

For my PhD, I’m researching crisis supporters (who answer the phones at crisis helplines) and I’m looking to build resources than can help them manage the demands of their job.

The Matilda Centre does very pragmatic, applied research, which allows us to have direct impact on people’s lives. It’s really important for me that my PhD has tangible impacts for the people I’m studying and that they get to benefit from it.

Jayden Sercombe presenting at the SMHR Conference. He is standing at a stand and his presentation is behind him, showing statistics around crisis support workers.

Image: Jayden Sercombe presenting his latest findings on the mental health of crisis support workers at the 2023 Society for Mental Health Research (SMHR) Conference in November 2023. Source: Tara Gückel

Zachary Bryant

Zac Bryant is wearing a short sleeved red shirt with navy cuffs. He has short, blonde hair and has black glasses. He is smiling.

PhD Candidate and Research Assistant 

PhD title: Understanding the relationship between MDMA mental health and addiction and the implications for novel psychedelic treatments

How far are you into your PhD process? I’m 1.5 years into my PhD, but I’ve been working at the Matilda Centre for 4.5 years

Personally, the Matilda Centre is really about the people. Starting off as a research assistant and now shifting gears to my PhD, I couldn’t think of a more fostering environment to ride the research wave.

Being surrounded by world class leaders and high achievers gives you the positive motivation to excel and succeed. Rather than feeling like you are competing with one another – it’s about lifting everyone up.

I find that the Centre is a community driven by a shared purpose and a passion for making a difference.

Zac presenting at APSAD. He is standing behind a podium and has a presentaiton behind him, including his aims for research design.

Image: Zachary Bryant presenting at the 2023 Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol & other Drugs (APSAD) Conference. Source: Jack Wilson

Tara Gückel

Tara is wearing a white, long sleeve shirt and has long blonde hair.

PhD Candidate and Research Assistant

PhD title: Advancing the prevention and early intervention for co-occurring anxiety and alcohol use disorders

How far are you into your PhD process? Almost 1.5 years into the PhD, but I have been working at the Matilda Centre for four years

Above all, the passion and the people are the most fulfilling part of conducting my PhD at Matilda.

Knowing at the core of what we do is to try and make the lives of people with mental health and substance use concerns a little (or a lot!) better is what made me pursue this field of research in the first place.

The passion and drive I see exemplified day in day out by my fellow PhD students and colleagues at the Centre to work towards this goal is unmatched.

Tara is standing behind a podium, with the results of an Inroads program trial on a presentation in the background.

Image: Tara Gückel presents on results from a recent Inroads trial addressing alcohol use and anxiety symptoms at the Brain and Mind Centre Early Career Researcher Showcase. Source: Dr Steph Kershaw

Scarlett Smout

Scarlett Smout. She is a woman with brown hair to her shoulders, and is wearing a yellow shirt. she is smiling.

PhD Candidate and Research Program Officer  

PhD title: Healthy bodies, healthy minds? The behavioural and social determinants of mental health in Australian adolescents and outcomes of the Health4Life cluster randomised controlled trial

How far are you into your PhD process? Two years and eight months (who’s counting?) but I've worked as a Research Program Officer since before I started by PhD

It’s hard to list one thing!

I would say the camaraderie with other students. There is a decent sized group of us and we meet monthly to share knowledge and learn from established researchers and related practitioners. We also went on a writing retreat together this year and it was just such a supportive and encouraging atmosphere.

I have to say - the monthly meetings and training (and the writing retreat!) wouldn’t be possible without the Matilda Executive and Academics’ support, which is another thing that makes the Centre a fulfilling place to do a PhD.  

Scarlett presenting at SMHR. She is standing behind a podium and has a slide behind her, discussing the aims of the Health4Life program.

Image: Scarlett Smout presents at the 2023 Society for Mental Health Research (SMHR) Conference in November 2023. Source: Tara Gückel 

Amarina Donohoe-Bales

Amarina is wearing a long sleeve navy blue shirt and has long blonde hair. She is smiling.

PhD Candidate and Research Assistant

PhD title: Responding to a changing climate: Measuring and future-proofing against the impacts of environmental disasters on youth mental health

How long are you into your PhD process? Two months, but I have been a research assistant at the Matilda Centre for three years. 

By far the most fulfilling part is getting to work with, and alongside, a community of inspiring, innovative and endlessly supportive researchers at the Matilda Centre.

As part of my PhD, I’m really looking forward to continuing to work with and learn from my amazing PhD supervisors.

I feel incredibly lucky to be part of the Matilda Centre as both a research assistant and student; you couldn’t ask for better friends, mentors and colleagues.

Amarina presents at the SMHR conference. She is standing behind a podium and is presenting on the Alone Together study.

Image: Amarina Donohoe-Bales presents the latest findings from the Alone Together study at the 2023 Society for Mental Health Research (SMHR) Conference in November 2023. Source: Lyra Egan

Interested in learning more about the Matilda Centre’s research or conducting a PhD in mental health or substance use? Get in touch