Women’s Hospital, Crown Street begins teaching obstetrics in 1900

From Faculty of Medicine Online Museum and Archive

Jump to: navigation, search

The Women's Hospital was founded in 1893 in an attic and four rooms in Hay Street[1] after a public meeting drew attention to the plight of babies and mothers in Sydney. Its founders included two medical graduates of the University of Sydney (Sir) James Graham and Leopold Edward Flood Neill. A daily outpatient Clinique was established by the medical staff in the first year of the hospital's inception, where medical advice and assistance regarding diseases peculiar to women was administered. Medical staff also made outcalls to lying-in women in their own homes, and performed minor operations using (Sir) James Graham's own surgical instruments until the hospital was in a position to purchase its own.[1] Lady Mary Elizabeth Windeyer became its first President in 1895, and in 1897 the Women's Hospital moved to larger premises in Crown Street. 'Crown Street' became a social institution with a special place in the affection of Sydneysiders. It also established excellent training programs for nurses and midwives.

From 1900, all Sydney medical students attended Crown Street for instruction in obstetrics, and many attended postgraduate courses for practitioners.[1] Lucy Edith Gullett (MB 1900) became its First Resident Medical Officer in 1901.