Most if not all rust species that have been studied to date carry mycovisues. The role of these hyperparasites is not understood at all. The project will undertake sequencing of mycoviruses isolated from cereal rust pathogens, to characterise their genomes and to try to determine how they spread between isolates.
The project will involve working with rust pathogens of selected cereal hosts. The viruese will be isolated using established techniques, and then sequenced so that genome assemblies can be generated. This information will provide insight into the diversity of these viruses in rust fungi, and shed light on how they are transmitted. Greenhouse experiments using mixtures of isolates that carry different virus genotypes will be conducted to see if transmission can be induced experimentally. The ultimate objective is to use this knowledge to understand the role played by these viruses in rust pathogen population dynamics.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2307