There are about 7,000 rust species, some of which are among the most damaging of all plant pathogens. Using genome sequencing and transcriptome analysis, this project will contribute to a comprehensive study of evolution and genetic variability in the rust fungi.
The project will involve working with rust pathogens of diverse host species, in order to generate genomic information on the genetic variability of the rusts. It will undertaking whole genome sequencing and transcriptome analysis, along with comparative bioinformatic analyses to identify genes that are unique to rust fungi, as well as those that are conserved across all rust species. This information will be used to determine the evolution of the Pucciniales, including how some species evolved the ability to infect geneically diverse host species. The ultimate objective is to use this knowledge to develop new, sustainable and environmentally friendly disease control strategies.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2308