Novel nanolasers: a brighter future for photonic integrated devices
The final aim of this project is to develop a more efficient and possibly electrically pumped plasmonic nanolaser.
Associate Professor Stefano Palomba.
School of Physics
All the plasmonic nanolasers published in the literature since 2009, follows two specific configurations, i.e. metal-insulator-semiconductor-air (MISA) or metal-insulator-semiconductor-insulator-metal (MISIM). We recently realized that these configurations are not optimal. Based on our latest published work (DOI 10.1039/C8NR04898C) we realized that adding a high index material as insulator would allow a gain threshold increase of 45%. In this project, we want to proof that our novel platform can enhance Perovskite-based plasmonic nanolasers performance. The project could remove the impasse that this field is currently bearing and potentially be fed into the market of integrated nanolasers. Currently we have been able to measure the fluorescence from these nanowires but not lasing yet.
HDR Inherent Requirements
In addition to the academic requirements set out in the Science Postgraduate Handbook, you may be required to satisfy a number of inherent requirements to complete this degree. Example of inherent requirement may include:
- Confidential disclosure and registration of a disability that may hinder your performance in your degree;
- Confidential disclosure of a pre-existing or current medical condition that may hinder your performance in your degree (e.g. heart disease, pace-maker, significant immune suppression, diabetes, vertigo, etc.);
- Ability to perform independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to undertake certain physical tasks (e.g. heavy lifting);
- Ability to undertake observatory, sensory and communication tasks;
- Ability to spend time at remote sites (e.g. One Tree Island, Narrabri and Camden);
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights;
- Ability to operate heavy machinery (e.g. farming equipment);
- Hold or acquire an Australian driver’s licence;
- Hold a current scuba diving license;
- Hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Meet initial and ongoing immunisation requirements (e.g. Q-Fever, Vaccinia virus, Hepatitis, etc.)
You must consult with your nominated supervisor regarding any identified inherent requirements before completing your application.
Want to find out more?
The opportunity ID for this research opportunity is 2697
Other opportunities with
Associate Professor Stefano Palomba