Skip to main content

Certified copies of original documents

To complete certain processes at the University you may be required to provide certified copies of important documents.

A certified copy of an original document is one that that has been verified as a true copy by an authorised person.

Who can certify documents

An authorised certifier may be a Justice of the Peace (the University has a number of JPs on campus who are available by appointment) or someone from the following occupations:

  • an accountant (member of a recognised professional accounting body or a Registered Tax Agent)
  • a judge, barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • a Commissioner for Affidavits, Declarations or Oaths
  • a bail justice or sheriff
  • a police officer
  • a postal manager
  • a principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
  • a medical practitioner
  • a minister of religion.

Other authorising officers are:

  • an officer at a tertiary admissions centre: UAC, VTAC, QTAC, SATAC, TISC;
  • staff members of the University of Sydney
  • Admissions Officer or Student Services Office at any Australian university or TAFE college
  • the official records department of the institution that originally issued the document(s).

Certifiers outside Australia

If you’re outside of Australia, the following the people can certify your documents:

  • an authorised officer of an Australia overseas diplomatic mission
  • staff members of the University of Sydney
  • an authorised officer of an Australian Education Centre
  • an authorised agent of the University approved by the University of Sydney International Office (a list is held by the International Office)
  • a school headmaster or other recognised examining authority
  • a Notary Public
  • authorised officer in accordance with local legislation/practice.

How to certify a document

The original document must be viewed by the certifier and they must personally copy the original document and verify it by completing the following:

  1. Use a stamp or write by hand on the copy: “This is a true copy of the original document sighted by me” on each page of the document
  2. Sign the statement on each page
  3. Write by hand the following details:
    • name and business address
    • contact telephone number
    • professional or occupational group (as listed above)
    • date verified.
  4. Put the official stamp or seal of the verifier's organisation on the copy, if the organisation has such a stamp
  5. If the certifying officer is a Justice of the Peace the certifying officer must list the registration number and Australian state/territory of registration.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 29 September 2022

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.