Skip to main content

Clinical placement checks and clearances

If you are completing a health-related degree at the University, a core part of your course will be a placement in a health facility. There are certain checks and clearances you will need to complete before you can undertake this placement.

Overview and NSW Ministry of Health verification

Before you attend a placement in a NSW Ministry of Health facility, you will need to meet certain requirements to be verified by the NSW Ministry of Health to ensure your safety and that of other students, staff and patients.

We will let you know during enrolment what checks and clearances are required for your course. Depending on your placement and faculty or school requirements, you may also need to get a Working With Children Check.

NSW Ministry of Health verification

The NSW Health student verification pack (pdf, 1.3MB) outlines the Vaccination and National police check requirements in further detail and outlines the appropriate evidence/documents required. This is necessary to meet the verification standards set by the NSW Ministry of Health.

Who? Documents required
All students (including the groups below)
  • Student placement clearance summary sheet
  • Australian national police check
  • NSW Health code of conduct agreement for students
  • Attachment 6 undertaking declaration form
  • Attachment 7 Tuberculosis
  • Completed vaccination record card
International students without permanent residency (including New Zealand) Overseas police check or statutory declaration
Students with MMR serology on their vaccination report card Rubella serology report
If Hepatitis B records are unavailable Attachment 9 Hepatitis B statutory declaration
Medicine, Dentistry and Oral Health students Blood borne virus declaration

Download the student verification pack (pdf, 1.3MB) to complete the required NSW Health Verifications.

What if you've already been vaccinated?

Blue book, Medicare immunisation history and overseas vaccination records need to be transcribed onto a NSW Health student vaccination record card by your GP. Each entry needs to be signed and stamped by the GP.

Non-english records will have to be translated by a GP who speaks that language or you will have to provide a certified translation.

Current NSW Ministry of Health employees

If you are a current NSW Ministry of Health employee, you still need to get verified as a student by the NSW Ministry of Health before your placement.

What happens next

If you have gained full or temporary compliance, you will be able to attend your placement.

If you have been assessed as unable to either temporarily or permanently meet one or more of these mandatory requirements, contact the Office of Clinical Education Support.

Office of Clinical Education Support

Opening hours

9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 15 September 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.