Skip to main content

Clinical placement checks and clearances

Vaccination and immunisation


The requirements are outlined under a NSW Ministry of Health policy directive.

You will need to have completed vaccinations before you start your placement and show evidence of protection against the following infectious diseases:

*Carrying Hepatitis B does not necessarily preclude you from meeting NSW Ministry of Health verification requirements.

If you have not already had the required vaccinations you need to complete this process which can take up to six months. Vaccinations and advice are available through the University Health Service at the Camperdown Campus.

Tuberculosis (TB) screening

TB testing will be required if you meet any of the following criteria.

The University Health Service offers TB screening. Both an IGRA (QUANTAFERON GOLD test) and Mantoux Skin Test are acceptable evidence you have been tested for TB under the Occupational Screening Policy (2018). Depending on your result, you may be required to have a chest x‐ray.

If you're a student visa holder and had a chest x-ray when you applied for your student visa, you will still need to have a TB screening if you meet any of the above criteria. Chest X-rays only show active or infectious tuberculosis. You may have latent or silent tuberculosis which does not show on a chest x‐ray. Latent or silent tuberculosis does not cause any symptoms but can progress to active or infectious tuberculosis.

Attending placements if you need TB screening

If you are in the first year of your degree you can be granted a 6 month temporary compliant status, and can attend placements during this 6‐month period, provided you have:

  • completed all other vaccination requirements (including at least one documented dose of hepatitis B vaccine)
  • submitted your criminal record check to Student Verification for processing.

You need to complete your hepatitis B vaccination schedule and tuberculosis screening during this six‐month period or your temporary verification will lapse.

You can't attend a placement after this six‐month period until you show evidence you have completed your hepatitis B vaccination schedule and TB screening.

Influenza Vaccination

If you are allocated to a placement in any of the high risk areas, you are required by the NSW Ministry of Health to show evidence that you have had the most recent influenza vaccination. This is due to the potential for serious health problems for vulnerable people who catch influenza. High risk areas include:

  • intensive care units
  • antenatal, perinatal and postnatal areas including labour wards and antenatal outreach programs (before, during and after delivery of babies)
  • neonatal intensive care units and home visiting services provided to neonates (newborn children less than four weeks old)
  • paediatric (child) intensive care units
  • transplant and oncology (cancer) wards.

As you may not know in advance of placement allocation if you will be placed in a high risk area, we strongly recommend you have a flu vaccination as soon as possible each year.

If you do not have suitable evidence that you have had the vaccination, you will be expected to wear a face mask or may be relocated to another clinical area for your placement. Where these options are not viable your placement may be cancelled.

Government-funded influenza vaccines will start to become available from mid-April 2020.

Evidence of your influenza vaccination

When you have your vaccination, you need to request documentation of your vaccination from your health care provider. You should also have your local doctor or vaccination nurse update the information on your NSW Health Adult Vaccination Record.

Blood borne virus declaration (Medicine, Dentistry and Oral Health students)

Commencing students in the disciplines of medicine, dentistry or oral health will need to complete the Attachment 1 blood borne virus declaration form (pdf, 58KB) and have it verified by NSW Health before your first clinical placement. You will need to repeat this process every three years.

Refer to the Information for healthcare students who perform exposure prone procedures (pdf, 97KB).

Last updated: 02 September 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.