Skip to main content

Gender affirmation at Sydney

Support and services

If you'd like to chat with someone you can trust, you're looking for advice, or would like to arrange support for your studies, check what's available to help you suceed at the University.

Study adjustments

Change your study load

If you're a domestic student, you can change from full-time to part-time. Find out about changing your study load.

If you're a student visa holder, you're required to be enrolled in a full-time study load (24 credit points). You may be able to apply to reduce your study load for compassionate or compelling reasons.

If you need to take a break

If you've started your studies and need to take a break, you may be able to suspend your studies. If you haven't yet started your course, find out if you can defer your offer.

If you're a research student, find out about requesting leave from your research.

Special consideration and arrangements

If exceptional circumstances such as illness, injury or misadventure significantly affect your short-term academic performance in an assessment task, you may be eligible for special consideration to support you. We are recommending changes to the wording of the policy with a view to re-phrasing the eligibility criteria to be more inclusive. Check our special consideration and arrangements page to find out if you are eligible and how to apply.

Supporting documents

  • If you are receiving support from an LGBTQIA+ organisation or a counsellor you may ask them for a written statement confirming this support. You may be able to apply based on medical grounds or hardship or trauma related to your social affirmation.
  • If you are receiving hormone treatment, ask your doctor to complete a professional practitioner certificate (PPC), so you can apply on medical grounds related to your affirmation, or based on hardship or trauma related to the impact of your affirmation on your study performance.
  • If your medical affirmation includes surgery, you can ask your doctor to complete a PPC and apply on medical grounds related to this surgery.

Your PPC should outline an affected time period. If the PPC states ‘ongoing’ in the time period we may not be able to process your application and you may need to apply again.

When providing a PPC, you have the option to ask your registered medical/health professional to tick the box stating that you that you are suffering from an illness of a confidential nature. When you complete your special consideration application, you should tell us this in the section that asks you to provide a statement describing the impact of the illness, injury, misadventure or special commitment on your ability to complete your studies.

Bathroom facilities


You have access to the change room and toilet facilities corresponding to your gender. We also have all-gender bathrooms on campus should you prefer to use these.

To find all-gender bathrooms visit Campus Maps, select 'Amenities', then 'Toilet/Shower - All Gender' or 'Toilet - All Gender'.

Some all-gender bathrooms are also accessible. To find the closest all-gender accessible bathroom, click on ‘Accessibility’, then ‘Toilet – All Gender Accessible’.

For more information contact Campus Assist by calling the service desk on +61 9351 2000 or emailing

Organising a personalised gender affirmation plan

There are many factors to consider when you are affirming in a study environment. As well as the need for emotional support, there are system considerations, such as changing an email account name or your gender on the IT systems you access.

Having a gender affirmation plan can assist you and those supporting you to identify where you'd like assistance and advice. Our Student Support Liaison Officers can help you design a plan. It will be personalised to you, and could cover:

  • identifying who needs to know about your gender affirmation and how it will be communicated to your peers, teachers and wider University community
  • timelines and milestones for your gender affirmation
  • study adjustments or leave you may need to access
  • using your names and pronouns, including how you can introduce them with others.

You can download a copy of our Gender affirmation - Student support plan (docx, 251KB) template to see whether it’s right for you.

Student wellbeing and counselling

As a student, you can access services and specialist input on a wide range of personal, academic, social and psychological issues that may impact your life, through our Student Wellbeing and Counselling team.

Go to our Health and wellbeing page to find out more about the services offered, and to book an appointment.


We are committed to providing an accessible and inclusive learning environment for all students.

  • If you require adjustments to your classrooms and study areas and you are comfortable to do so, speak with your faculty/school to identify your needs and understand what adjustments may be possible.
  • The University’s Inclusion and Disability team are able to provide academic and accessibility adjustments and support if you are experiencing a temporary or ongoing condition, such as side effects or recovery from medical interventions, which impacts directly on your study.
  • Alternatively, you can contact Student Health and Wellbeing to discuss your needs and options.

Financial support

You may be eligible for financial support during your gender affirmation if you experience financial distress. For example, because of medical costs, gender affirmation surgery, or loss of financial support from family. 

General bursaries are available to domestic undergraduate and postgraduate students. If you are an international student, you may be eligible if you’ve experienced extenuating circumstances. General bursaries are designed to help students meet essential study and living expenses, including food, medical and clothing. Find out more information about eligibility, how to apply, and the maximum amount of financial support available depending on your circumstances. 

If you have any questions about general bursaries or need assistance submitting an application, please submit a financial support enquiry.

University networks and support

Student representative associations

Student Representative Council (SRC)

If you’re an undergraduate student, you can make a free appointment with an SRC Caseworker. Caseworkers can provide confidential assistance and support with student welfare issues.

The SRC also employs solicitors that can assist undergraduate students with legal matters free of charge, including advice and representation.

Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association (SUPRA)

If you are a postgraduate student you can access free, confidential and independent advice from the Postgraduate Advocacy Service. Find out more on the SUPRA website.

For legal advice and information, you can contact SUPRA Legal Service.

Community resources and support


Minus18 aims to lead change, build social inclusion, and advocate for an Australia where all young people are safe, empowered, and surrounded by people that support them. They offer a range of online resources, support and training.

Visit Minus18

The Gender Centre

The Gender Centre is committed to developing and providing services and activities, which enhance the ability of transgender, gender diverse and gender exploring to make informed choices. They offer a wide range of services to the community, their partners, family members and friends in New South Wales. They are an accommodation service and also act as an education, support, training and referral resource centre to other organisations and service providers. The Gender Centre is committed to educating the public and service providers about the needs of gender diverse people children and families. They specifically aim to provide a high quality service, which acknowledges human rights and ensures respect and confidentiality.

Visit The Gender Centre

TransHub (ACON)

TransHub is ACON’s digital information and resource platform for all trans and gender diverse (TGD) people in NSW, as well as their loved ones, allies and health providers. This platform is an initiative from ACON, NSW’s leading health organisation specialising in community health, inclusion and HIV responses for people of diverse sexualities and genders.

Visit TransHub and ACON


Twenty10 works with people across Sydney and New South Wales who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and gender diverse, non-binary, intersex, questioning, queer, asexual and more (LGBTIQA+) people and others of diverse genders and sexualities, their families and communities.

Visit Twenty10


QLife provides anonymous and free peer support and referral for people in Australia wanting to talk about sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationships.

Visit QLife


Last updated: 13 March 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.