Skip to main content

Health and wellbeing


Support over the break

Some of our health and wellbeing services, including our Student Counselling Service, will be unavailable during the University closedown period from Friday 22 December 2023 to Monday 8 January 2024.

The primary wellbeing supports available over this period are:

To connect with Student wellbeing, please contact us when we return on Monday 8 January.


Did you know you can access wellbeing support online?

As a student at the University you have access to a number of platforms to help support your mental health. Find out more.

As a student, you can access specialist input on a wide range of personal, academic, social and psychological issues that may impact your life, through our Student Counselling Service.

Individual counselling

Individual therapy or counselling with a counsellor gives you the opportunity to talk confidentially about any concerns that may be impacting on your academic performance or mental health and wellbeing.

We offer short-term therapy sessions (between 1-6) with counsellors who provide evidence-based treatment and resources tailored to meet your individual needs.

We conduct our sessions in line with New South Wales Health guidelines, which are subject to change. This means we may not always able to offer face-to-face counselling. Telehealth appointments are always available by phone or through Zoom.

If you require longer term support, a team member will assist you to find an external provider. Where appropriate, you may be linked with internal support services such as Inclusion and Disability Services, the University Health Services, Financial Assistance, Student Affairs, Career Centre or other relevant support services.

Getting started

To connect with Student wellbeing, the first step is to fill in the registration form

Once your form is received, a clinician from Student Wellbeing will call you to discuss your support needs.

Before your appointment

If it's your first appointment, you need to arrive 10 to 15 minutes early for your session to allow time to fill in any forms or questionnaires required by your counsellor.

Initial assessment

In your first session, you will talk to your counsellor about your concerns, they will assess your mental health needs and collaborate with you on the best way of moving forward. They may make recommendations or suggest you book further sessions.

Advice about other services

We may advise you of other services if:

  • you request help with finding a specialist after discussion and assessment
  • counselling is not the most suitable service for you
  • there are other forms of professional support that may meet your needs.

We can advise you about other specialist services within or external to the University.

Support for students who have experienced sexual assault

Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) offers a confidential outreach clinic available to all current students who have experienced sexual assault. RPA counsellors experienced in supporting victims of sexual assault work closely with the University. Find out more about the clinic and other support available through our Safer Communities Office.


We understand that issues and emergencies arise. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, we ask that you try to notify us with as much notice as possible.

We offer a text reminder 24/48 hours prior to ensure you have enough time to notify us of any issues. In-person appointments can also be changed to telehealth if required on the day. 

If you do not attend an appointment and don't contact us to cancel, this will count towards the six appointments that you are able to access in a calendar year. Unfortunately, non-attendance prevents other students in need from accessing this appointment time. Under exceptional circumstances you may be able to discuss this with your clinician. 

Refer a student to support

Notify the University about situations where a student may require support.

Last updated: 20 November 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.