Skip to main content

Health and wellbeing

Inclusion and disability

The University is dedicated to ensuring that all students have equal access to learning.

By registering with Inclusion and Disability Services, students who have a disability can gain access to the adjustments and services they need to succeed in their studies.

Contacting us

We are available for appointments via Zoom, phone and face-to-face on the Camperdown/Darlington Campus. Please advise which option you require when booking an appointment.

Visit us

Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building (next to City Road, on the Camperdown/Darlington Campus).


+61 2 8627 8422


Our officers have expertise in a variety of backgrounds including health sciences, psychology, and rehabilitation therapy. This gives them an excellent understanding of how a disability may affect a student’s ability to manage their studies and meet their academic potential.

Each faculty also has a Faculty Disability Liaison Officer (FDLO), who can provide quick advice and support specific to your learning environment


Definition of disability

The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 recognises that disability may be permanent, intermittent or temporary; acquired or lifelong; visible or invisible.

How we can help

Once you’ve registered with us, we can work closely with administration and academic departments to ensure the appropriate teaching and assessment arrangements are made.

We’ll work with you to develop a personalised academic plan, detailing your course requirements and the recommended adjustments and one-to-one learning supports required to assist you. This is used to formally communicate to staff within the University the adjustments that you're eligible to access throughout the semester. Your academic plan will be reviewed each semester.

Types of adjustment might include:

  • assessment and exam adjustments
  • alternative formatting
  • timetable adjustments
  • access to assistive technology
  • lecture support
  • library services.

Eligibility for these services is determined on an individual needs basis, upon review of the recommendations made in your supporting documentation and your consultation with a Inclusion and Disability Services Officer.

We liaise with your faculty or school to provide you with reasonable adjustments and support. However, please be aware that our services do not include counselling or case management, and we can’t intervene on matters of special consideration, academic appeal or leniency.

Unsure whether to register with us?

Here is some more information that might help with your decision.

How to register


Log in to Inclusion and Disability Services to create your profile (you'll need to be a current student with an active UniKey). During the registration you’ll be required to read and acknowledge IDS Conditions of Registration and Consent.


Obtain the required supporting documents. These documents will need to be uploaded to your online profile or emailed to Inclusion and Disability Services before you attend your registration consultation.


Contact us to book your registration consultation with a Disability Officer. The consultation will take around one hour.


If you're having difficulties with the online system, or you can't log in, you can contact the ICT Helpdesk.

Supporting documents

To complete your registration you’ll need to provide a supporting documentation form (pdf, 269KB) completed recently by your treating health professional.

In some cases, specific support material is required instead of the form:

  • Specific learning disabilities - if you are requesting access to support for a specific learning disability, we require a copy of the results of psychometric testing used to diagnose your condition. This testing must have been conducted after you have turned 17 years of age, as levels of learning disability can change during childhood and adolescence. If required, a Disability Officer can refer you for psychometric testing at the University of Sydney Psychology Clinic.
  • Handwriting difficulties - if you are requesting services due to handwriting difficulties (un-related to an obvious injury or congenital concern), we require a complete copy of the results of the assessment undertaken by an occupational therapist to assess the extent of your handwriting difficulty.

How we work out your adjustments

As set out by the Disability Standards for Education 2005, we are required to make reasonable adjustments to ensure students with disabilities have equal access to education. Find out what we look at when determining your adjustments.

Faculty or school Disability Liaison Officers

Each faculty or school also has at least one Faculty Disability Liaison Officer (FDLO) who can provide quick advice and support specific to your learning environment.

Any queries specifically related to the registration process with Inclusion and Disability Services, should be directed to Inclusion and Disability Services via email

Ozgur Gocer
Wilkinson Building
Darlington Campus
+61 2 8627 9576

David Evans
Education Building (A35)
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 8463

Sydney College of the Arts

David Evans
Education Building (A35)
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 8463

Ms Heather Robson
Abercrombie Building
Darlington Campus
+61 2 9036 6156

David Evans
Education Building
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 8463

Ms Annamaria Brancato
Peter Nicol Russell Building
Darlington Campus
+61 2 9351 2534

Dr Scarlet Wilcock
New Law Building (F10)
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 8524

Dr Christopher Rudge
New Law Building (F10)
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 0439

Dr Andy Smidt
Susan Wakil Health Building
+61 2 9351 9008

Ms Isobel McManus
Sydney Conservatorium of Music
+61 2 9351 1286

Please indicate which school or unit of study your enquiry relates to so that it can be responded to appropriately.

Associate Professor John O'Byrne
Physics Building
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 3184

Sydney School of Veterinary Science

Associate Professor John O'Byrne
Physics Building
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 3184


Last updated: 25 May 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.