Skip to main content

HELP debt

Any loan that you take through the government’s Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) will contribute towards your accumulated HELP debt. This includes HECS-HELPFEE-HELPSA-HELP and your OS-HELP.

It is your responsibility to keep track of your HELP debt and be aware of the requirements around paying it back.

Check your Commonwealth assistance notice (CAN)

After census you will be emailed your CAN, an official statement outlining your unit of study enrolment for that session, student contribution and any HELP debt or loan fee you may have incurred.

You will also be able to access this in Sydney Student (go to ‘My finance’, ‘Your finances’, then ‘CAN statements’).

Log in to myUniAssist

The CAN includes your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN), your unique identification number. You can use this to log in to myHELPbalance and track any Commonwealth assistance used for your tertiary study.

Find out more about CANs on the Study Assist website.

Paying back your loan

Once your income reaches a certain level, you are required to start paying back your accumulated HELP debt.

Find out how this works on the Study Assist website.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 15 June 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.