Skip to main content

Industry and community projects

Eligibility and how to enrol in an ICPU

COVID-19 update: July domestic intensives and Semester 2 projects moved to online delivery, global intensives cancelled

Student safety is our priority and due to the impacts of COVID-19, our July intensives and Semester 2 ICPUs will be delivered in an online format, primarily through Zoom video conferencing.

As with face-to-face delivery, you will still work collaboratively in interdisciplinary groups to solve a complex problem set by an industry partner. The partner will virtually engage and provide guidance throughout the project.

All 2020 July global intensives have been cancelled. We will be increasing the number of July domestic projects on offer to make sure we have enough projects for students.

Important dates

  Project registration opens Project registration closes
February intensives 18 December 19 January
July intensives (domestic, online) 18 December 21 June
July intensives (global) No longer running in July 2020  
Semester one projects 28 January 23 February
Semester two projects 23 June 23 August


To be eligible to enrol in an Industry and Community Project Unit (ICPU) you need to be an undergraduate student.

As part of applying, you will need to enrol in a shell unit. To be eligible, you need to make sure this unit is available in your course. Check your handbook for this unit, and ensure you meet any criteria specified for this unit. It will be a 3000-level unit and referred to as an Interdisciplinary studies or Industry and Community Project unit in your handbook.

  • If you are completing a liberal studies degree and commenced your studies in 2018 or later (or transferred to the new curriculum version of your degree in 2018), the ICPU shell unit will either be in your major or as an elective in your handbook.
  • For all other degrees, the shell unit will appear in your handbook if you are eligible to complete it.

Shell units

The shell unit is dependent on your faculty or school, and in some cases related to your major(s).

Faculty/school Unit of study
Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning ARCH3108
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (including Sydney College of the Arts and Sydney School of Education and Social Work) You'll need to select the unit related to your major (see below for more information)
The University of Sydney Business School ACCT3400, BANK3400, CLAW3400, FINC3400, IBUS3400, INFS3400, MKTG3400, QBUS3400, WORK3400, WORK3401
Faculty of Medicine and Health School of Pharmacy PHAR4820. Students enrolled into PHAR4820 will only be able to register into Semester 2 health-related projects. You will only see the projects available to you in the project registration page.
Sydney School of Health Sciences HSBH3026
Sydney Conservatorium of Music PERF3640
Faculty of Engineering


This unit can be used to claim activities under the Professional Engagement Program (PEP) depending on when you commenced your degree. Indicatively a minimum of 140 hours can be claimed for intensive projects and a minimum of 60 hours for semester long projects. Additional hours may be claimed on individual projects depending on the amount of industry partner involvement. For more information, please contact

Sydney Law School LAWS3508 (Bachelor of Laws), LAWS5208 (Juris Doctor). Combined Law students in years 1, 2 and 3 should enrol in the faculty shell unit relevant to their non-law degree. Bachelor of Law and Juris Doctor students who are in their final or penultimate year and have completed a minimum of 48 credit points of core law units should enrol in LAWS3508.
Faculty of Science (including Sydney School of Veterinary Science) SCPU3001

If you commenced your studies from 2018 onwards, or transferred to the new curriculum, you are required to complete a six credit point 3000-level Interdisciplinary Project Unit.

To enrol in an ICPU you will need to complete an Interdisciplinary Impact Unit (XXXX3999) in another subject area as a pre-requisite or co-requisite for your ICPU unit.

If you have opted to complete a second major within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences you should:

  • enrol in the Interdisciplinary Impact unit of study in your first major [XXXX3999]
  • enrol in the Industry and Community Project unit [XXXX3998] for your second major.

If you're in a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies and in your third year, you'll need to select the unit from this list related to your major: ANHS3998, ANTH3998, ARBC3998, ARCO3998, ARHT3998, ARIN3998, ASNS3998, BBCL3998, CAEL3998, CHNS3998, CRIM3998, ECON3998, ECOP3998, EDUF3998, ENGL3998, EUST3998, FILM3998, FRNC3998, GCST3998, GOVT3898, GRKA3998, GRMN3998, HBRW3998, HSTY3998, ICLS3998, INDG3998, INGS3998, INMS3998, ITLN3998, JCTC3998, JPNS3998, KRNS3998, LATN3998, LNGS3998, MECO3998, MGRK3998, PHIL3998, PRFM3998, RLST3998, SCLG3998, SLSS3998, SPAN3998, USSC3998.

If you commenced your current award course prior to 2018 and have available space, you can enrol in INDP3000 as an elective and you do not need to complete a XXXX3999 unit as a co-requisite.

How to apply

1. Select a shell unit in Sydney Student

The first step is to select a shell unit for the project through Sydney Student. If you've already enrolled you can do this by changing your units of study (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Units of study’, then ‘Change your units of study’).

Choose the shell unit for your faculty or school, and where relevant, your major(s).

2. Register for a project

Once you've successfully enrolled, we will email you with instructions on how to register for a project.

You will finalise your enrolment in the unit and select your project in Sydney Student (go to 'My studies', 'Enrolment', then 'Project registration'. Places in each project are limited so we encourage you to register early to avoid missing out. You will only see projects that are available for your enrolled shell unit and still have places available. If you can’t see a project when you register, you will need to select a different project. Project availability is subject to change.

Once you've registered for a project, you will need to upload a signed and witnessed Deed Poll to Canvas. This is a compulsory requirement of your enrolment in this unit. Make sure you consider the acknowledgments in the deed carefully before submission. You will be granted access to Canvas the week before teaching starts for your enrolled session and you will need to submit your Deed Poll before the first day of class.

Student safety is our priority and due to current travel restrictions caused by coronavirus infection (Covid-19), all 2020 July global intensives have been cancelled. We will be increasing the number of July domestic projects on offer to make sure we have enough projects for students. These will become available for registration in May.

1. Apply online through the Global Mobility Database

To take part in an overseas intensive, you will need to apply through the Global Mobility Database. (Select 'Short term programs' then 'ICPU intensives').

In your application you will be able to select two preferences for projects.

You will be asked to provide the following supporting documents:

  • Resume
  • Photo ID
  • Transcript
  • Personal statement - explaining why you are interested in a particular project(s).
The VC Global Mobility Scholarship

During the application you can elect to apply for the VC Global Mobility Scholarship.

To be considered for the VC Global Mobility Scholarship you must have a WAM of 65 or above. Scholarships are granted based on merit, overall application and interview. If you receive funding through other scholarship schemes you are not eligible to receive this scholarship.

2. Attend an interview

If your application is successful we will invite you to attend an interview. This will be a group interview where we'll assess your communication skills and ability to work in groups.

If successful, we will issue you with a conditional offer. 

3. Your conditional offer and enrolling in a shell unit

Your conditional offer letter will include instructions on how to enrol in the shell unit of study for your intensive.

Once you have successfully enrolled in the unit, our team will register you for the relevant project. Please do not make any travel arrangements until your enrolment in the unit is confirmed.

4. Paying your program fee

The letter will also include information on how to pay for your program fee and confirmation on whether you have been selected to receive the Vice-Chancellor Global Mobility Scholarship. You will need to pay your program fee to remain enrolled in this unit.

Student Centre

Limited service

As a precaution, we’re currently closed for in-person enquiries.

Find out more about our service


1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.


Last updated: 30 July 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.