Skip to main content


How to apply

Application deadlines

You need to apply for your loan in the six-month period before heading overseas. OS-HELP loan applications are assessed on a continuous basis in the order they are submitted.

Submit your application:

  • by 31 October for study commencing in the summer break or Semester 1 of the following year
  • by 31 May for study commencing in the winter break or Semester 2 of the same year.

You can submit an application after these deadlines, however we can't guarantee that your loan will be processed before the commencement of your overseas studies. 

If you're applying for a second OS-HELP loan, submit your application one month before the end of the first loan. Payment for an approved second loan will be made after the completion of the first six-month period. 

Steps to apply

There are two steps to completing an application for OS-HELP. Both your online OS-HELP loan application and OS-HELP debt confirmation form need to be submitted through Sydney Student before your application can be assessed.


Submit an online application

Complete the online OS-HELP loan application through Sydney Student (‘My finance’, ‘Scholarship, prizes, bursaries and loans’, ‘Apply for OS-HELP loan for overseas study').

The application link will only appear if you meet the citizenship/residency requirement and are currently enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student.


Submit an online OS-HELP Debt Confirmation Form

After completing an online OS-HELP loan application, you'll be directed to submit your OS-HELP debt confirmation form. 

You can return and complete your form at a later time through Sydney Student (go to 'My finance', 'Your finances', then 'Government forms').

Once you submit your form, you'll be emailed a receipt. A pdf copy of your submitted form will also be available in Sydney Student (go to 'My finance', 'Your finances', then 'Government forms').

What you will need

Make sure you have the following information ready before you complete the online application.


  • Study period commencing year, commencing semester, duration of study.
  • Nominated exchange partner university.
  • OS-HELP loan amount you are requesting, selected from the amounts available for your destination.      

If you're applying for a Supplementary Asian language study loan, you will need to provide:

  • language course start and end dates
  • evidence of your enrolment in a relevant Asian-language course.

Independent study abroad

  • Name, start and end dates, and country of your overseas study program.
  • OS-HELP loan amount you are requesting, selected from the amounts available for your destination.
  • Faculty credit approval - Study abroad credit approval from your home faculty which must include the University of Sydney unit of study and credit point value you will be credited upon successful completion of your overseas study.
  • Confirmation of program acceptance - An acceptance letter or email confirming your participation in the program. This should include your name and the dates and/or the duration of the program if not provided in the study program overview.  Please note that this must be addressed to you, not just a general description of the program.
  • Study program overview -  A brief overview of the overseas study program. This may be a copy of a brochure or web content regarding the program including the location and dates.

If you are applying for a Supplementary Asian language study loan you will need to provide:

  • language course start and end dates
  • evidence of your enrolment in a relevant Asian language course.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 15 June 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.