Skip to main content

Postgraduate Research Support Scheme

  1. Overview and funding
  2. Eligibility requirements
  3. How to apply

Eligibility requirements

University PRSS eligibility requirements

The University PRSS eligibility requirements apply to all students, but your faculty or school may specify additional, stricter eligibility requirements. You need to review the relevant PRSS guidelines to ensure you understand all eligibility requirements.

You need to meet the following requirements to be eligible to apply for and receive PRSS.

These are the minimum requirements to receive PRSS funding and many faculties and schools impose additional requirements in their PRSS guidelines. It is important that you review the specific guidelines as well as the minimum requirements below.

Be currently enrolled

  • On the closing date your candidature cannot exceed the following full-time (or part-time equivalent) periods:
    • four years full time if you are a doctoral student
    • two years full time if you are a masters by research student.
  • If you have currently suspended your studies, but are due to re-enrol before PRSS funds are allocated, you may submit an application in the research period immediately prior to your return to candidature. You need to have recommenced your enrolment in order to be considered eligible to receive funds. Some faculties or schools may impose stricter enrolment requirements and may not award funds to suspended students.
  • If you are under examination, you are not eligible to apply for or receive PRSS funding.

Have satisfactory progression

  • You must not have exceeded the normal period of candidature.
  • At a minimum, you need to have completed preliminary appraisal activities (please refer to the PRSS Procedures and Schedule 1 of the Progress Planning and Review for Higher Degree by Research Students Policy). Refer to your faculty or school guidelines for any additional eligibility criteria.
  • You need to have received at least a ‘meets/exceeds’ outcome in your most recent progress review, if you have completed a progress evaluation meeting prior to applying for PRSS.
  • If you have not yet passed probation, you need to provide evidence that you have completed all required preliminary appraisal activities.
    • If you commenced your candidature from January 2021 onwards, the preliminary appraisal milestone must be completed in RECS. A printout of this milestone completion (with approval from your lead supervisor) will be sufficient.
    • If you commenced your candidature from July 2020 and have not had the opportunity to complete your probation (e.g. if you suspended your studies), a formal letter/email from your Lead Supervisor will be required to confirm you have completed the preliminary appraisal activities.
    • Preliminary appraisal activities are outlined in Schedule 1 of the Progress Planning and Review of Higher Degree by Research Students Policy.

How many times can I receive PRSS funding?

If you are a doctoral student and meet the eligibility criteria, you may be awarded PRSS a maximum of three times during your candidature (four full-time years).

If you are a masters by research student and meet the eligibility criteria, you may be awarded PRSS once during your candidature (two full-time years).

If you convert from a masters to a doctorate, the number of successful PRSS awards allowed will increase from one to three for the period of your candidature. This will include any award during your masters degree. The 2022 PRSS payment will be counted towards this limit.

Faculty and school PRSS guidelines

You need to review your faculty or school PRSS guidelines before you start your application.

Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre

  • HDRAC is closed for in-person enquiries

    Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus


Find your discipline contact

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 12 October 2022

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.