Skip to main content

Postgraduate Research Support Scheme

How to apply

COVID-19 update: PRSS Round 2, 2020

The University is committed to supporting research students throughout this period of COVID-19. As in previous years, a smaller second round of PRSS has been arranged for 2020, with not all Faculties and University Schools participating in this round. Check the Eligibility page for further details.

Funding is available for research activities in the current calendar year. You can apply for funding in advance. You can also apply for funding retrospectively, as long as you apply in the same calendar year as the research activity. In this case, we may ask you to provide receipts or evidence.

Ask your supervisor for advice about preparing an application for PRSS funding, as this is part of your research training.

Before you begin your application

Make sure your preferred bank account details are correct in Sydney Student. Go to ‘My finance’, ‘Your finances’, then select ‘Bank details.

Along with your personal and contact information, in your application you will be asked:

  • course start and required thesis submission dates
  • lead supervisor name and email address
  • information about any scholarships you have
  • details of the funds you are requesting
  • the justification for that funding
  • how the activity or equipment will contribute towards the completion of your degree
  • your achievements related to your research.

Remember to have all your documents for upload ready before you start the application. If you have problems or need further help, email us at

Each Faculty and University School have developed guidelines on how applications will be assessed and ranked. You should review the relevant guidelines before completing your application.

How to apply

Read all supporting content and apply using the application form.

Assessment of applications

An academic committee in your faculty, school or department will assess your application against the eligibility criteria. Applications will be ranked. We will email you with the outcome of your application after the ranking process.

Each Faculty and University School have developed guidelines around how applications will be assessed and ranked.

These guidelines are available below.

Payment of funds

Funds will be paid to your nominated bank account listed in Sydney Student.

If your application for PRSS is successful and your bank account details are not correct, this will cause delays in the payment process.

You can check and update your bank account details through Sydney Student. Go to ‘My finance’, ‘Your finances’, then select ‘Bank details’.

Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre

  • HDRAC is closed for in-person enquiries

    Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus


Find your discipline contact

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 15 January 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.