Skip to main content

Sexual assault

Support services for people who have experienced sexual assault

Sexual assault is never the fault of the person subjected to the assault. If you have experienced sexual assault, there are services available to support you (pdf, 52KB). Options include:

You can access any of the above services whether or not you choose to report the incident. If you choose to report the incident, information is available on how to make a report to the University or to the police.

All support services provided by the University are LGBTIQ inclusive. You can also access LGBTIQ specific services included in the list below. If you would like find out more about the LGBTIQ support and advocacy on campus, read about our Pride Network.

Student liaison officers
If you've experienced sexual assault/harassment, our student liaison officers have expertise in providing support to those that have experienced sexual assault or harassment. They can provide one-on-one support, to advocate for you and provide case management.

Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building
City Road
Darlington Campus
+61 2 8627 6808 (8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday)

Find a safe place

On-campus emergency housing is available if you need a safe space to stay. Contact the University’s Student Accommodation Services for assistance.

Student Accommodation Services
Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building
City Road
Darlington Campus
+61 2 9351 3322 (10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday)

Outside business hours contact Campus Security on +61 2 9351 3333 to access emergency accommodation.

You can also access help with emergency accommodation via student representative groups:

Student Representative Council (SRC) - undergraduate students
Level 1, Wentworth Building
City Road
Darlington Campus
+61 2 9660 5222 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association (SUPRA) - postgraduate students
Level 2, Holme Building
Camperdown Campus
+61 2 9351 3715 (9am to 5pm (closed 12-1pm), Monday to Friday)

Medical needs

If you have serious injuries, call 000 and request an ambulance.

You have the choice to have a forensic medical examination. This will gather evidence (if it is available) to use in court. You can have this done “just in case” and you do not need to decide at the time whether or not you want to report to the police. If you want to access a forensic medical examination and it is less than one week since the assault, contact Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sexual Assault Service or your local sexual assault service.

If you want help deciding whether or not to access a forensic medical examination, or it is more than one week since the assault, you can contact NSW Rape Crisis Centre to discuss your options on 1800 424 017.

Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sexual Assault Service (24-hour service)
Counselling and medical services are available for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. Campus Security can arrange transport to RPA.

Ground Floor, KGV Building Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Missenden Rd,
+61 2 9515 9040 (Monday to Friday)
+61 2 9515 6111(after hours)

You can access general medical support, including a check up, access to the morning after pill or STI treatments. Find your closest sexual health service on the NSW Government’s Health website or contact the University Health Service.

University Health Service
Medical services (not including forensic exams) are available in a caring, safe, and confidential space.

Level 3, Wentworth Building
Butlin Avenue
Darlington Campus
University of Sydney
+61 2 9351 3484 (8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

Counselling support

The Sexual Assault Service is an outreach clinic available to all current students who have experienced sexual assault.

Run in collaboration with Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Sexual Assault Service, appointments with a specialist counsellor are available each Monday during semester or fortnightly outside of semester. Contact the Student liaison officers to make an appointment.

There are also a number of counselling and support services available outside of the University that you can access:

NSW Rape Crisis Centre
24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in NSW who has experienced or are at risk of sexual assault and their non-offending supporters.
1800 424 017

24/7 national sexual assault, domestic violence counselling service.
1800 737 732
Online mental health organisation providing information and resources.

24/7 national telephone counselling service who can also provide crisis support and suicide prevention.
13 11 14

A NSW state-wide organisation providing a range of support services for people of diverse genders, sexes and sexualities, their families and communities.
+61 2 8594 9555 

A counselling and referral service for people who are LGBTI.
1800 184 527 (3pm to 12am)

Student organisation support services

Independent student organisations at the University also provide additional forms of assistance for students, including support groups, advocacy and safe spaces.

University of Sydney Union (USU)

The USU provides autonomous safe spaces on the Camperdown/ Darlington campus:

  • Wom*n’s Room (for wom*n-identifying students): Level 1, Manning House.
  • Queer Space (for queer-identifying or questioning students): Basement of the Holme Building.
  • Ethno-cultural Space (for students of colour): Level 1, Manning House.

Each space is accessible during opening hours of the buildings, 9am to 8pm during semester. (9am to 6pm outside semester). 

Student Representatives’ Council (SRC)

Casework and legal services
Undergraduates can make a free appointment with an SRC Caseworker. Caseworkers can provide confidential assistance and support with student welfare issues. 

The SRC also employs solicitors that can assist undergraduate students with legal matters free of charge, including advice and representation. Call +61 2 9660 5222 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday to make an appointment.

Wom*ns Collective
An inclusive and welcoming activist space, working together to fight for femist change and open to all students who identify in part or in whole as a wom*n, non-binary or trans person.
Wom*ns Collective

Queer Action Collective (QuAC)
A collective representing and advocating the interests of queer-identifying students. QuAC works with campus queer groups and societies, and community organisations to build an inclusive environment in the University and in society.
Queer Action Collective

Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association (SUPRA)

A number of support networks for postgraduate students are provided by SUPRA. 

Casework and advocacy services
Postgraduates can make a free appointment with a SUPRA caseworker. Caseworkers can provide confidential assistance and support with student welfare issues. Call +61 2 9351 3715 from 9am to 5pm (closed 12-1pm), Monday to Friday to make an appointment.

Survivors Network
A peer-led support group for women-identifying survivors of sexual assault. The network is a non-professional online space run by survivors, for survivors and meets on campus based on the members’ needs. Contact the SUPRA Women’s Officer directly to be added to the group.

Postgraduate Women’s Collective
A social, academic and policy-support network run by, and comprised of, women-identifying postgraduates. The collective aims to build a strong inclusive community by hosting events, workshops and running campaigns to work collectively on issues that concern postgraduate women the most.
Postgraduate Women’s Collective

Queer Collective
A collective that provides a means for queer postgraduate students at to chat, organise social events with each other, plan events and socialise.
Queer Collective

Last updated: 11 November 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.