Skip to main content

Statutory declarations

In some situations, you may need to provide us with a statutory declaration.

A statutory declaration (sometimes referred to as a 'stat dec') is a signed, written statement that allows a person to declare something to be true in the presence of an authorised witness – usually a Justice of the Peace, a lawyer or a notary public.

In some situations, you may be required to provide a statutory declaration. For example, when applying for:

Generally you’ll need to use a NSW statutory declaration form, you can download one on the NSW Department of Justice website.

You can find more information about statutory declarations on the Attorney-General’s Department website. Here you’ll also find a link to a Commonwealth statutory declaration, which should only be used if your declaration relates to a Commonwealth or Australian Capital Territory matter.

If you submit a statutory declaration, it should include:

  • your full name
  • a statement about what you are declaring and relevant details
  • any additional information requested.

Finding a Justice of the Peace

Your statutory declaration will need to be witnessed and signed by an authorised witness, such as a Justice of the Peace (JP).

You can look for a JP on the public register of JP’s.

If you are currently overseas, you may be able to locate an authorised witness at your nearest Australian Embassy, high commission or consulate. Find out more on the Smartraveller and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade websites.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 07 September 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.